Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replace Delaminated MTC With Manual Switch Panel on 2013 TXI

4skinuts

2 hours ago, braindamage said:

Hi @justgary there will need to be a breaker of fuse panel as the bypass circuit’s purpose that we are tapping into is to bypass the fuse in case of an emergency.

The emergency was that your MTC quit working.  You move the fuse from MTC control to bypass control, which means you still have the same fuse protecting the circuit.  The modification adds a switch to the fused power so you can use the circuit at your leisure.

21 hours ago, justgary said:

The emergency was that your MTC quit working.  You move the fuse from MTC control to bypass control, which means you still have the same fuse protecting the circuit.  The modification adds a switch to the fused power so you can use the circuit at your leisure.

That’s not the way my investigation led me. The instruction for use of the bypass is to place the fuse from the output circuit that comes from the screen to the slot next to it which will have constant power. The fuse itself acts as the “on” switch completing the circuit. I believe the plan above ties into the live side of the bypass circuit, so there is no longer a fuse and one will need to be placed inline somewhere for each circuit.

I hope that makes sense.

On 8/21/2021 at 5:46 PM, 4skinuts said:

The fuse was moved from the current location to the bypass location for the applicable function.  This method worked for Interior/Cabin Lights, Bilge, Bow/Nav Lights, and the Blower. 

@justgaryyou are right relative to the functions listed above. I hadn’t realized that the output wires weren’t connected to the live side of the fuse bypass. No fuse block or breakers are necessary it seems for those.

I’m not sure if @4skinuts means that therefore the wedge up/down and ballast need to be fed from live side of the bypass and therefore need fuses/breaker?

3 hours ago, braindamage said:

@justgaryyou are right relative to the functions listed above. I hadn’t realized that the output wires weren’t connected to the live side of the fuse bypass. No fuse block or breakers are necessary it seems for those.

I’m not sure if @4skinuts means that therefore the wedge up/down and ballast need to be fed from live side of the bypass and therefore need fuses/breaker?

Nope.  From the instructional post by @4skinuts, "For most functions, we removed the red wire female terminal from the fuse box male terminal for the applicable switch circuit and connected the wiring for the switch circuit between these two points.  The fuse was moved from the current location to the bypass location for the applicable function.  This method worked for Interior/Cabin Lights, Bilge, Bow/Nav Lights, and the Blower."

The normal fuse position allows the MTC to control outputs using a transistor (which you can see as the little black squares above the normal fuse positions in his photo).  You move the fuse to get the transistor out of the circuit, then put a switch in the circuit so you can turn it on and off at your leisure.  The circuit is still protected by the very same fuse after you move it over.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

My MTC is starting to become very sensitive - 2015 TXI response ::(.  

Very curious if you know how long it might work like this?  

I have very little boat knowledge ..  other then love my boat and its awesome when it works!  Replacing the MTC myself/hubby is away beyond us.

We have used the main power button to turn boat off when the MTC won't respond.  I feel silly asking this, but is there away to bypass the MTC and start the boat or would i be stranded?  Only use the boat to get from dock to ski course and back.  

15 minutes ago, malibuont said:

Hi,

My MTC is starting to become very sensitive - 2015 TXI response ::(.  

Very curious if you know how long it might work like this?  

I have very little boat knowledge ..  other then love my boat and its awesome when it works!  Replacing the MTC myself/hubby is away beyond us.

We have used the main power button to turn boat off when the MTC won't respond.  I feel silly asking this, but is there away to bypass the MTC and start the boat or would i be stranded?  Only use the boat to get from dock to ski course and back.  

Check this thread:

Recently developed two options.  A manual switch or a replacement screen.  Also discussions of a third where you are able to use a phone or tablet to control, but it's not available at this time.

2 minutes ago, browneye253 said:

Check this thread:

Recently developed two options.  A manual switch or a replacement screen.  Also discussions of a third where you are able to use a phone or tablet to control, but it's not available at this time.

Hi .

what does this mean

"Hell I'd take the V1 even with the extra pressure if it worked"

And i guess i'll have to go with the costly replacement screen as i don't have the skill/support to install a manual switch

You do not want the V1 as it did not work very well.  V3 is where it is at.  I spoke to Cue before the Hurricane since he moved to FL recently and he ended up in the path of Ian.  I texted him and have not heard back yet.  It has been multiple days.  Hoping he and his family are ok.  This most certainly will delay some things as he tends to getting back on his feet.

On 10/6/2022 at 10:48 AM, malibuont said:

Hi .

what does this mean

"Hell I'd take the V1 even with the extra pressure if it worked"

And i guess i'll have to go with the costly replacement screen as i don't have the skill/support to install a manual switch

Ah, yea.. linked to the wrong comment.  As JLT3 mentioned you'll want the V3 that seems to have fixed the touch issues.