Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replace Delaminated MTC With Manual Switch Panel on 2013 TXI

4skinuts

Great post! As a aircraft avionics mechanic I can see the hard work you put into this.  If cuescreens doesn't come through this might have to be my solution.  I would see about adding switches for the power wedge surfgate and ballast pumps.  A lot more research would be needed to figure out how to get the water in and out of the the boat with switches.

@bobby83860

The fuse box has fuses labeled for wedge up and wedge down.  You should be able to insert a switch in a manner similar to what I did above for the wedge. I did not see any wiring for surf gate or ballast. These were probably not options on a TXI. The first place I would look would be your fuse box to see if it has fuses labeled for these functions. If not take a look at the print on the wires in the wiring harness plugged in to the fuse box to see if any are for ballast or surf gate. Below is a picture of what I’m referring to.
DA2422CB-4441-4E96-B32C-F5A75AA0884A.thumb.jpeg.ca8c2ed279e8019c56247750064962ae.jpeg

I expect yours will have more wires than mine did. 

Great solution. Can't say I would be game but through frustration, we do push ourselves.

I have one of the last LXI's before the TXI so I only need the same functions outlined in this post.

I get lost with electrical stuff. Pity it could not be packaged as a simple kit with a wiring harness & the changes second time around for improvement to simplify the install.

I would order a kit & hunt down a local electrition to be the brains trust for the install wit an instruction wiring install sheet.

@4skinuts maybe a sideline business for your son. Count me in from Down under

@Andrew63

I agree that this would be a good sideline business for someone.  If they were to source a set of male female plugs to insert at this location with the switches wired into this section it would be simple to install.  My son would be capable; but, has moved away, started a new job, and has no time available  

image.jpeg.ec455f6845ef98709741ecfdf620be16.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

This is great but over my head. Any crew members know of any electronicts company that could take this on and produce say 100-200 kits with easy instalation instructions and teck support. Then we can all say fork you Madalion.

I'd be willing to kit these up, but I have no access to any boats with this problem.  It seems that one would need several varieties with ballast, wedge, etc. available.  One would also need to be able to carefully measure each style of boat in order to determine sizes and lengths.

@4skinuts- If you put the ignition fuse in the bypass position the engine cranks, right?  Does the engine die if you then remove that fuse?

5 hours ago, 4skinuts said:

@justgary 

Yes. Fuse in bypass ignition slot will crank the engine. I did not test removing the fuse to kill the engine. 

If it does kill the engine, that would make it easy to control the engine with a switch as well.  

• 1 month later...

Wow @4skinuts, thank you!  Wife and I literally walked out  yesterday for a beautiful fall set in our 12 TXI and she looked at the MTC and you can imagine the rest… takes away from the thrill of brisk morning on glass with lake to ourselves. This is the second screen. Of course we had that “do we just sell it moment”.  Well done!

Unfortunatly down under with one replacement screen back in 2015 ($2k AUD then) & another looming ($5k AUD  shipping & taxes Now) I decided enough is enough.

Sold the boat last weekend.

Will leave it for a season & ski with a buddy.

This Covid Tax driving up prices made it a easy decision to sell, but a hard decision to buy with prices an all time high 

@braindamage order # NWM43109 It’s shown at the bottom of the proof picture. See the 9th picture of the original post. If you order one, make sure you request the changes that I recommended in the original post. 

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

@dkscism As stated in the first post of the thread “There are multiple options for completing this modification.  I am simply sharing how we resolved this issue and completed this modification on my TXI.”

I chose the least invasive method we could think of.  In case a reasonably priced reliable replacement touch screen is produced in the future, I wanted to be able to uninstall the switch panel with minimal damage to the original wiring insulation. This was the only wire where we had to penetrate the wiring insulation to complete the installation.

I’m not an electronics expert; but, I don’t see why your solution wouldn’t work.

• Like 2
Just now, 4skinuts said:

@dkscism As stated in the first post of the thread “There are multiple options for completing this modification.  I am simply sharing how we resolved this issue and completed this modification on my TXI.”

I chose the least invasive method we could think of.  In case a reasonably priced reliable replacement touch screen is produced in the future, I wanted to be able to uninstall the switch panel with minimal damage to the original wiring insulation. This was the only wire where we had to penetrate the wiring insulation to complete the installation.

I’m not an electronics expert; but, I don’t see why your solution wouldn’t work.

Thanks! Great job btw. I can't believe you're the only one to post results of doing this so far with all of the screen problems people have. 

• 3 weeks later...

Love the write up on this! Thanks for taking the time to share. Has anyone considered offering to kit this up? I know this has been asked before, but I see several people willing to pay for a kit. Just need someone to lead up an effort to order them. My screen is still limping along, but I for-see the day I will need either switches or a new screen. 

2 hours ago, Malibro22 said:

Has anyone considered offering to kit this up?

Only about twelve posts back....  It seems that everybody wants a kit, but nobody wants to actually do a little work to get one.  I don't know of anyone near me (Florida panhandle) with this issue, so I can't go do it myself.  It should only take a few iterations to get everything to work and look nice.

@4skinuts has done an excellent job of showing exactly what needs to happen, but my main questions are:

• What are the wire lengths required?  I prefer to have things fit correctly and look nice, so I would like to have somebody help that can actually measure things.
  • Do all of the boats that might need this have the same dash cutout?
  • Does everybody need a control for wedge and ballast also?  If so, where does this panel go?
  • Are the wedge controls basically momentary contact switches?  What about ballast?
  • Do some of you also need a remote key start?  If so, where does this panel go?
  • What is the preferred panel material?  Carbon fiber is expensive; ABS doesn't look as nice.  Stainless steel might also be an option.
  • How many of you would actually buy a kit?

@justgaryone complication to look into: my dealer told me there doesn’t seem to be a standard configuration for what gets controlled via the fuse bypass panel. I found this to be startling. I’m not sure if it’s true. My panel matches @4skinuts exactly.

I can answer some questions from my perspective:

Do all of the boats that might need this have the same dash cutout? Don’t know. I could measure mine if that’s helpful.

Does everybody need a control for wedge and ballast also?  If so, where does this panel go? No ballast for me. I don’t use my wedge but would like the option in case my situation changes. I’d like in this panel, but that could be a separate panel mounted elsewhere if there’s not enough real estate.

Are the wedge controls basically momentary contact switches?  What about ballast? Wedge controls would be momentary contacts. I don’t have ballast.

Do some of you also need a remote key start?  If so, where does this panel go? There is a kit for key start already. I’d eliminate start from this panel to allow for other functions.

What is the preferred panel material?  Carbon fiber is expensive; ABS doesn't look as nice.  Stainless steel might also be an option. Expensive is relative. I’d prefer a better looking panel and would be willing to pay more for it.

How many of you would actually buy a kit? I would buy 1. If you were doing a production run, I’d probably buy one in anticipation of a screen failure.

Maybe others who have tighter “ins” with Malibu can answer how many variations of size and function.

yet another “cottage industry” 😁

Edited by braindamage
11 hours ago, braindamage said:

@justgary one other idea, for the wedge you may be able to get a switch that lifts by momentary contact up, and lowers by momentary contact down. I think it would be a momentary DPDT?

Yes, that was exactly my thought.  In order to cram it onto the panel, one of the several light switches would need to get combined with another function, e.g. panel lights on navigation light switch.  That would still leave a problem with ballast if it needed to be on the same panel.  I would probably drop the breakers (each circuit is already fused) and try to get a second row of switches on the panel.  It might be too tight.

The driver board seems to have the following circuits:

• Wedge Down
  • Wedge Up
  • Interior Lights
  • Dash Lights
  • Anchor Lights
  • Bow Light
  • Docking Lights
  • Blower
  • Bilge Pump
  • Ignition

So I guess ballast is separate anyway.  My thought with the start switch was to provide it if needed so you wouldn't have to buy the kit from Malibu.  I would expect it to be mounted in a remote location, which would also deter theft if you hid it a little.  If it works like I think it does (nobody confirmed it), it could just be another rocker switch that matches the others.

Thanks for your answers.

12 hours ago, braindamage said:

yet another “cottage industry” 😁

Indeed.