Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Great Lakes Bimini option

lovetosurf

Anybody out there have any experience with the Great Lakes Bimini option for Malibu? Ordering our 25LSV with the G5 tower and came across this video. Love how the Bimini just clicks into place without the need of support arms but wondering how well it holds up compared to the standard Bimini setup?

I’ve heard they had issues with the spring mechanism breaking but that was 4 or 5 years ago and not sure if they’ve had a redesign or any improvements since?

Also curious to know dimensions if anyone has them to see how it compares to the standard Bimini. Do they still have the surf pockets etc?

Any info is much appreciated.

Cheers!

I have one on my 2019 25lsv and like it better for the most part compared to the standard one that was on my 2017, only thing I wish it had was the 1/4 turn locking pins that the standard Bimini has instead of the knob pull pins.  If you need to fold the tower down to go in your garage you basically need a second person to hold the one pin out so you can pull the second one to to put it back up from the low position when you put the tower back up.  It can be done with one person but you have to pull one pin and hold the Bimini up slightly to keep it from re-locking while awkwardly reaching over to pull the other pin to allow it to be moved back into the horizontal position.  Other than that minor annoyance it’s been great, seems to be pretty much the same size as the one on my 2017 and the one on my dads 2021 M240 which has the support arms.  Mine also does not have surf pockets on top, it has two sets of straps on each side that work well as long as they’re pulled tight.  

Different strokes, but I don't get it. If you want to run with the bimini stowed, you have that massive hoop sticking out in mid air. Towing the same. All to save about 30 seconds. 

• Like 2
On 8/20/2021 at 10:19 PM, KMB73 said:

I have one on my 2019 25lsv and like it better for the most part compared to the standard one that was on my 2017, only thing I wish it had was the 1/4 turn locking pins that the standard Bimini has instead of the knob pull pins.  If you need to fold the tower down to go in your garage you basically need a second person to hold the one pin out so you can pull the second one to to put it back up from the low position when you put the tower back up.  It can be done with one person but you have to pull one pin and hold the Bimini up slightly to keep it from re-locking while awkwardly reaching over to pull the other pin to allow it to be moved back into the horizontal position.  Other than that minor annoyance it’s been great, seems to be pretty much the same size as the one on my 2017 and the one on my dads 2021 M240 which has the support arms.  Mine also does not have surf pockets on top, it has two sets of straps on each side that work well as long as they’re pulled tight.  

Thanks for sharing, does it stow away ok for towing with the tower down and the cover on?

Also, any chance you could get me a measurement on the Bimini length? Curious to see how it compares to the standard G5 Bimini option.

Thanks again.

I always tow with the tower down but my cover is the style that goes around the tower legs when it’s up so I never tow with a cover on.  If I get time I’ll measure the Bimini when I get home tonight.  

I like the material of the GL Bimini better than the CS material.  Like others have said, it is ugly when towing as it either sticks forward or backwards but I often remove the canvas and that helps the appearance.  I remove the canvas to better protect the material from pinching due to experience with other bimini's - just added protection.

Totally confused: I ordered my boat with CS Bimini Top: - Extended Gen II Surf.  

Any thoughts on that?  Is there better alternatives to consider.  In a nutshell, me and the kids want to surf, and my wife wants to stay out of the sun as much as possible, but especially when at anchor.

Either bimini will work just fine for what you want. 

Take your time the first time you put that bimini up. Figure out how it works, and don't try to get in a rush and force it. Once you figure it out, it is quite quick to put up. 

• Like 2

Here is a pic. Probably worth a quick perusal of this thread. There is a video that demonstrates the function of the CS slider bimini. Can't remember if it shows how to set up the extended part or not. 

IMG_2321.JPG.4c3e396a05b91713d20ee8de3ae11114.jpeg

4 minutes ago, 4mc said:

Totally confused: I ordered my boat with CS Bimini Top: - Extended Gen II Surf.  

Any thoughts on that?  Is there better alternatives to consider.  In a nutshell, me and the kids want to surf, and my wife wants to stay out of the sun as much as possible, but especially when at anchor.

I’ve seen you mention the extended bimini  a few times. It’s really not relevant to the discussion of CS vs GL (what this thread is talking about). But since you asked…

A few years back, I ordered the extended bimini for my 2019… that was the first year it was offered and it seemed like a good idea given the length of the 25. Honestly, it was a big disappointment. On subsequent builds I have NOT checked that box. Here’s what you need to know…

1) the “extended bimini” is not what I sounds like (ie a bigger bimini). It is just the standard CS bimini with a separare piece that you have to zip onto the rear of your standard bimini. 

2) the 18” extension piece is not well engineered. It will strike you as an afterthought. When your normal bimini is in place the trailing edge is solid and strong; the canvas is firm and tight. With the extension in place the new trailing edge is limp and janky. This is because there are no support poles (the ones everybody complains about actually serve an important purpose). Also, the canvas is loose, and there are large gaps between the two pieces (it uses a zipper to connect the two pieces but mysteriously the zipper doesn’t cover the entire edge). Because the extension is the new trailing edge, and it’s closer to the transom of the boat, your passengers will be tempted to grab onto it as they come into the boat. Each time you will cringe knowing how unstable that grab is about to be. And your passenger is likely to fall on their butt. 😂

3) the extension doesn’t store well. It’s this big, long, awkward piece that sat in the bed of my truck for weeks before I finally relegated it to my storage unit. If you leave it on the boat it doesn’t fold up nicely with the main bimini, and it requires a separate boot (basically doubling the worst part of any bimini… the boot). 

4) the extension makes reaching the rope pylon and the surf board slots very difficult, really next to impossible. 

Bottom line… it’s a good idea but it’s poorly executed. 

Pics 1 & 2: look closely and you’ll we two Bimini boots, the smaller one in the front covers the main one with the Malibu logo. 

54366C65-740D-4335-AF07-1F9314C1D816.thumb.jpeg.0fe8b40d47cc03080b1cd965b8dd9a23.jpeg

C2331A73-25A0-431C-9C0B-DF70C609CE6F.thumb.jpeg.7a703dc5c9cdbe009e3ba4ad9748b1c4.jpeg

Pics 3 & 4: what it looks like in the extended position. It’s basically a wet noodle. Lol 

31188849-2496-49C9-B47B-4BE440EFC666.thumb.jpeg.e584d7a519d9d49b6220471fe1c56d1d.jpeg

522F25E7-89C9-432E-8386-35CB2B1E3640.thumb.jpeg.060f8e16e1024af305c62c14336a9127.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, 4mc said:

Whew!  Glad to hear it.  I went back and forth between regular CS and extended.  Still haven't seen one live or a pic.  

Honestly, I’d skip the extended. But, it’s possible they’ve improved it since my 2019. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, IXFE said:

Honestly, I’d skip the extended. But, it’s possible they’ve improved it since my 2019. 

My very  close friend just bought a couple year old 24MXZ. It has the extended bimini on it. He did the same thing as IXFE. Except he forgot his on top of the houseboat for a week or so.:rofl:  I think it has now made it to his garage. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Grate Lakes Bimini on a 2021 23LSV with G5 tower. It's been great and easy to use. It's a quick one person operations to put up and take down. No issues with it, beyond two Q/C items that I have to warranty this winter. (1) one of the two Velcro pads was missing on the front port side (they forgot to sew it on) and (2) a few threads/seams have pulled out on the edge and need to be re-sewn. 

I may have a pic or two of it up on my IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQYuBN1Fvfp/

I have the Great Lakes bimini and will select it on future builds over the CS option.   To the OP, yes it has surf pockets on top and mesh pockets on the underside I use to store ropes.     

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I have the Great Lakes bimini and will select it on future builds over the CS option.   To the OP, yes it has surf pockets on top and mesh pockets on the underside I use to store ropes.     

Agree 100%.