Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tach inop 2002 Sunsetter

We have a 2002 Sunsetter - the tach recently became inoperative. I would like to order one in advance of taking it to the dealer for other maintenance but not sure of the part.  Do I need to crawl underneath and remove the cover to get the actual part number or is there an obvious way?   Thanks 

EEEDFD25-FDC0-458E-AC0E-921C3176CA2E.jpeg

4 hours ago, UWSkier said:

https://www.bakesonline.com/malibu-boats-tachometer-gauge-5-black-white.html

Mucho dinero.  Might want to pop for PerfectPass if spending that much.

Or pick up a used tach from someone who did the PP upgrade. But first it might be worthwhile to investigate connections on the back of the current tach. 

Good call on the second-hand tach.  I'm using one of those.  :)

On the connections, is your tach completely dead, (i.e. hour meter won't read and needle won't buzz at key-on)?  You can swap the plugs around from the various gauges.  They all have the same data and are not gauge-specific plugs.  If putting your speedo wiring into tach wakes it up, the wiring or MDC is the likely culprit.

Thanks all… great suggestions!  I also realize that I access this from the front, no the back. I replaced the MDC a few years ago.. don’t want to do that again!  I am a bit worried though.. the gas gauge was a bit flaky but now appears to be fine .. however, it continues to show fuel even with the key turned off?  I thought it only registered when the key was on.  Hope this isn’t a sign of worse things… 

Yes unfortunately that is a sign that the gauge is going bad. It's almost inevitable when those gauges get that old that they start to fail. I've replaced all of mine with second hand replacements except the tach.