Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LS3 Electronic Control Module

LS3 engine is in a 2013 24MXZ. It keeps tripping O2 sensors. Marine service crew checked out engine extensively in early Spring and states it passes all tests. They have deduced that marina's only midgrade fuel (working on method of taking 93+ octane to boat), too much low RPM operation(during sightseeing cruises), or both are leading to the exhaust gases tripping the O2s (both on the same side, but can't remember which side).

I know this engine is built to run, but I can't imagine the full RPM operating range being unacceptable.

Could the ECM be set/calibrated (not well versed here) too sensitive, say for strict CA emissions, whereas this boat is in the Southeast?

Thanks to anyone with insight.

I have seen O2 fault codes caused by "coking" of the sensors when the engine is run heavily loaded for extended periods of time below 4000 RPM.  It is basically caused by exhaust particulates coating and clogging the sensors.  The easiest way to clean out the O2 sensors is to run the boat unloaded at 4000 RPM or higher for 10 minutes or longer at the end of the day.  There are other methods of manually cleaning the sensors.

Your dealer should be able to contact Indmar with your specific engine and ECM information and the fault codes you are getting, and then see if there is an updated ECM calibration or sensors available for your circumstances.