Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Most hours you have seen?

alcoprop

Impressive, for a gas motor never haver heard higher.

Did run across a late 1950s' stationary diesel generator that supposedly had been running for over 24 years except when there was a fuel shortage.  What I remember is like 750 RPM for 50 Hz so low stress/wear.  It sounded like you could count every exhaust valve opening it was so slow.  They replaced it with a Cat which by comparison sounded frantic and harsh.  

Conversely if you don't change or add oil to an Avalon (not mine) the oil turns to sludge blocks the oil screen and blows the engine at about 30k, or so the story goes.

Have to ask, do you know if he is regular with oil changes?  Everyone I have ever known with a high hour or mileage story has been very regular with oil and filter changes.

2 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Impressive, for a gas motor never haver heard higher.

Did run across a late 1950s' stationary diesel generator that supposedly had been running for over 24 years except when there was a fuel shortage.  What I remember is like 750 RPM for 50 Hz so low stress/wear.  It sounded like you could count every exhaust valve opening it was so slow.  They replaced it with a Cat which by comparison sounded frantic and harsh.  

Conversely if you don't change or add oil to an Avalon (not mine) the oil turns to sludge blocks the oil screen and blows the engine at about 30k, or so the story goes.

Have to ask, do you know if he is regular with oil changes?  Everyone I have ever known with a high hour or mileage story has been very regular with oil and filter changes.

He changes oil every 50 hours which is at least once a month for him right now. Always changes the oil before he winterizes the boat and before he does that last oil change he runs sea foam through it. The boat runs great still. 

The more hours the better.     The most damage to an engine occurs during a start where lubrication is poor.  The more time between starts the worse it is.    An engine that doesn’t run is corrosion’s best friend.    I cringe when I have to start my engine after it sits even a week.   

I was partners on a houseboat with 5.0’s. They had 3500 hours on them, compression checked fine the spring before it sank. 

My 2014 LS3 has 710 hours on it as of last week. Mostly surfing. I’m hoping hours are just a number. 

• Like 2

2500 in a club boat, lake 90s MasterCraft 205.

I imagine with fuel injection, light weight synthetic oils, and closed loop cooling standard we're going to see boat engines last longer.

Synthetic oils mean better lubrication on cold starts, less acid and pollutants, better movement, superior lubrication of cylinder sleeves.

Port Fuel injection means less flooding which means less fuel in the oil on cold starts or hard runs.  And (with a wideband O2 sensor at least) better fuel mix at changing altitudes or weather.

Closed loop cooling makes it harder to overheat, more consistent temperatures, less corosion, and when you store it less chance of freezing.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, RyanB said:

I was partners on a houseboat with 5.0’s. They had 3500 hours on them, compression checked fine the spring before it sank. 

My 2014 LS3 has 710 hours on it as of last week. Mostly surfing. I’m hoping hours are just a number. 

I know people knock the one and done engine in 2014, but I found that MP LS3 to be a good workhorse.  

My 1970 Winner runabout has 3900 hrs total. 1400 hrs on current 1988 outboard motor, and 2500 from previous outboard (2 rebuilds). Winner was the first 100% fiberglass boat, dating back to the late 50's when the company was called Plasticraft. 1st motor was still running when I sold it, but purchased for the lower unit.

Pics of this boat in the pics of your boat on water thread, posted Feb 28' 2016. Still looks the same. Mainly a salt water boat.

Edited by electricjohn
On 8/18/2021 at 3:52 PM, alcoprop said:

Fun topic: What’s the most hours you have seen on a boat? My buddy has a 99 Sunsetter and it’s about to hit 4,500 hours. Still the original motor and the only things that have went out on it is alternator and fuel pump. Everything else is original. Majority of those hours are at 40 mph bc he is a barefooter. Just curious what others have seen! 

would your buddy be Kevin J. ? If so I know this boat . We got ours at the same time and footed together back in the day ! 

Love this topic !  Thanks Alcoprop. 

So, anyone want  to take a guess what 4000 hours is when it comes to the equivalent of “car miles”?  

My simple math is 4000 hours times 25 miles per hour is 100,000 miles.  But a boat NEVER coasts.   Engine is always working.    So my math sucks.  

is 4000 boat hours the equivalent of 400,000 car miles?

Is 1000 boat hours the equivalent of 100,000 car miles?

For what it’s worth, I’m on my 3rd Mercruiser engine on my ‘94 Echelon (bought new in 1995).  My original engine replaced for free under extended Mercruiser / Malibu warranty in 1999. My second engine replaced in 2011 for $8000.  Both engines failed due to “catastrophic engine failure.”  Whatever that means.  

All maintenance and engine repairs and new engine swaps done by Malibu dealers, too.  

Edited by 94MalibuEchelon

I would say 1 hour on a boat is about 100 miles on a car. Just going off of changing oil 50hours vs 5000 miles and the general life span you see. 2000 hours or 200k miles.

Then again these engines are used a lot harder than in a truck, no gears to run through, rpm constantly fluctuating and quite often full throttle. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, 937footer1 said:

would your buddy be Kevin J. ? If so I know this boat . We got ours at the same time and footed together back in the day ! 

Sure is. He still pretty much foots and his wife skis about everyday. They are really close friends of my family. 

On 8/20/2021 at 1:47 PM, alcoprop said:

Kevin J. ?

Does this guy run on Norris? Don't know him, but the description fits a guy that rolls by my place all the freakin time. Small world moment?

19 hours ago, BigCreek said:

Does this guy run on Norris? Don't know him, but the description fits a guy that rolls by my place all the freakin time. Small world moment?

Yeah he is full time on Norris and so am I. Where are you located at on the lake? BigCreek area?  We are Springs/Deerfield area. 

18 minutes ago, alcoprop said:

Yeah he is full time on Norris and so am I. Where are you located at on the lake? BigCreek area?  We are Springs/Deerfield area. 

I'll be there in 8 days! Hopefully the hurricane will not mess too much up this upcoming week. :unsure: Staying over by Bubba Brews.

Edited by BlindSquirrel
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently sold my water ski school. All Malibu fleet plus one axis. I had a 2007 V Ride with over 5,000 hours on it and it was my hardiest most reliable boat. All 9 of my boats (LSV’s, Ride’s, a 247, a LXI, and an A20) did well with minor issues here and there. Never had a boat out of the water for more than 24 hrs that wasn’t human caused. The way I saw/see it boats are built to run. People I knew who had boat trouble seemed to use their boats but once or twice a year. Electronics, parts, and mechanics sitting unused is at least as hard on them as abuse. Run your boat (or vehicle) and follow service recommendations to the best of your ability and it will run forever (comparatively :biggrin:). Great thread!