Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis Throttle Response on newer boats

wedge88

Looking for feedback from owners that have regularly driven Axis and Malibu boats to get opinions on throttle response in the later years of boats.  We had a 15' A22 and we hated the throttle.  Note...we were coming from a Malibu SSLxi and RLxi so that was a big change but we have no issues with our 18' 22VLX.  We have family with a 16' A22 and it takes some adjustment when I'm pulling riders in their boat.

Years ago, I know this was a perk to upgrading to Malibu but so many changes have come across to the Axis line and I'm curious if this is one of them.  We are contemplating a reverse switch back to Axis as the T250 has caught our eye but my wife says "we need to demo the throttle first" and I can't say I blame her.  With boats so scarce, I'm not sure how fast we can get a demo but I typically sell late season and order in the fall for a spring delivery.

Can anyone provide some experience here?  TIA!

6 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

The new throttle is basically the same as a Malibu. It's fly-by-wire.

Do you know when this changed?  I drove an 18’ Axis regularly and it still had lag and required a lot more pressure in and out of gear than our Malibu.  This would be great.  

11 hours ago, wedge88 said:

Do you know when this changed?  I drove an 18’ Axis regularly and it still had lag and required a lot more pressure in and out of gear than our Malibu.  This would be great.  

My 2019 has a fly-by-wire throttle. Maybe then?

My 2018 has throttle by wire.  For me, the throttle response is linear and responsive.  I can't say that I have noticed any difference between it and the Malibus I have driven.

OK, step back.

Most boats have had throttle by wire for a while now. Shift by wire is also in the mix and I believe is newer on Axis than Throttle-by-wire.

I'll just re-interate, my 2019 is butter smooth. If it's not, then something is wrong with the mechanism and needs to be dealt with via warranty.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I know wat you are saying. I had an 05 23 LSV and then went to a 16 A24 and hated the throttle at first. Now I don't even notice it anymore, I guess its crazy what you can get used to. We are getting a T250 this year it will be interesting to see how it is.