Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Leak jiffy pin broke in half

Hi,

I was surfing behind my 2017 Malibu 22MXZ with the 575 Engine and I noticed oil being spell from the sides..

the bilge pump came ON and it started spewing engine oil so I told my driver to shut engine off..

We checked the engine oil level with the dipstick and it was dry so we got towed and loaded the boat on the trailer.

I just got a call from the dealership and they said that a jiffy pin on the bottom of the engine broke in half and that we lost 5qt of oil but all good..

Can someone tell me what pin is that and the location of this pin?

Edited by Delpiero

I was driving back home when they called me so maybe I did not hear correctly..

but they said that a plastic fitting that failed/cracked and its a lower plastic fitting called "safety pin" or "shifty pin" or "jiffy pin"

Possibilities include the drain tube or if a remote oil filter one of those lines.

I would document everything as running the engine with no oil (pressure) tends to end with a very expensive repair bill.  If that ends up happening, hopefully a warranty claim is possible.

Many of the quick connect pressure hose fittings on the engine remote oil filter, transmission, and oil cooler lines are referred to as a jiffy fitting.  It is a self locking connector that requires a special tool to remove.  I have seen them used on Indmar engines over the last 13 years or so.

https://www.myinboardmarine.com/products/jiffy-fitting-for-oil-block-1-2-x-1-2-anodized-original-indmar-601048

• Like 1
2 hours ago, csleaver said:

Many of the quick connect pressure hose fittings on the engine remote oil filter, transmission, and oil cooler lines are referred to as a jiffy fitting.  It is a self locking connector that requires a special tool to remove.  I have seen them used on Indmar engines over the last 13 years or so.

https://www.myinboardmarine.com/products/jiffy-fitting-for-oil-block-1-2-x-1-2-anodized-original-indmar-601048

yup this is exactly what broke.. saw it in person today!! thanks a lot for the info!!

On 8/19/2021 at 3:43 PM, oldjeep said:

FWIW - they appear to be aluminum, not plastic ;)

yes its aluminum not plastic!!

I wish we had more choices when it comes to most reliable engines..  but we're stuck with american trash brands like ford and chevrolet..

maybe one day we'll see AMG on a wake boat instead of that Cigarette Boat!!

5 minutes ago, Delpiero said:

I wish we had more choices when it comes to most reliable engines..  but we're stuck with american trash brands like ford and chevrolet..

You could always do a swap and marinize it yourself.  The American Trash of which you speak are pretty reliable.  Many records of people with lots of hours on them.  

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Delpiero said:

Sounds like you'd be better off getting rid of the American trash Mailbu and go a different direction!!

19 minutes ago, Delpiero said:

It seems that sometimes the trash is in the driver's seat and not in only in the engine compartment.

love those fanboy responses..

do some research on "most reliable car engines" and tell me if you see ford or chevrolet on top.

I've had about 10 different car brands and the only car that gave me issues was chevrolet.. now that I have a ford engine the problems are back!

35 minutes ago, Delpiero said:

I'd agree on the Ford, but only because they have not got much of a history with modern marine engines (351 doesn't count unless you want them to start selling them again).  For reliability I'll take a 5.7L GM any day of the week just due to the sheer number of them out in the world.

If you want to pay AMG rates for repairs - may whatever invisible being you believe in have mercy on your soul ;) 

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Delpiero said:

do some research on "most reliable car engines" and tell me if you see ford or chevrolet on top.

I've had about 10 different car brands and the only car that gave me issues was chevrolet.. now that I have a ford engine the problems are back!

Yet you purchased a Malibu!  My response is more about what YOU own and are complaining about.  Doesn't make sense to buy an American made Malibu, then proceed to a Malibu Forum and complain about something you purchased.  If you want to complain, find more sympathetic ears.

27 minutes ago, Delpiero said:

What engine did you have in the Chevrolet? And what year/model?

52 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

Yet you purchased a Malibu!  My response is more about what YOU own and are complaining about.  Doesn't make sense to buy an American made Malibu, then proceed to a Malibu Forum and complain about something you purchased.  If you want to complain, find more sympathetic ears.

That's exactly my point.. I purchased a Malibu and my complaint is towards a different brand that left me stranded for 2hrs in the middle of lake mead at 110f

This is an Indmar part.  Why are we talking about Ford vs. Chev vs. Euro?  Small block Chev and 300 straight six Ford will make every top ten engine list.  

@Delpiero - I am surprised after your research you chose the Ford as a power option.  As noted, a plethora of marinized SBC's reliably powering boats of all types on our waterways.  Indmar only swapped over to Ford a few years back so very limited time marinizing that product hence not surprising a few issues popped up.  Ilmor went the GM route with reliability in mind as a key priority for their business model for this market.

• Like 2