Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

show us your filthy boat

TwoMargaritasPlease

How long did you leave her in the water? Took about a month for my brother's bu to look similar while his trailer was being fixed. Cleaned up easier than we thought.

18 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

If the boat is moored you really need to take a swim around it with a rag frequently so that scum doesn't build up.

It's a losing battle around here. I'd rather be riding than cleaning. I'm working on getting a boat lift but permitting is taking forever.

I watched a guy who leaves his boat in the lake all summer pull his out and wipe it down while it was still wet and everything came right off.  It was an 80s model sunsetter.  I’m sure every lake is different.

Edited by MTBoy
5 minutes ago, Wcl said:

What state is this boat in

WA, Lake Washington. I think if you guys saw the abuse my boat goes through you would be horrified. Dead gnats. Spider infestations. My dog sheds hair all summer. A couple weeks ago a heron slaughtered a fish on my engine covers, dried blood and scales stuck to the vinyl. Rough water banging on the dock daily. I don't cover it because I like to ride several times a week on short notice. But it cleaned up nice.

mWLfH6W.jpg

• Like 2

This makes me feel so much better about mine. I am living full time at the lake this summer and we were boating for about a week straight. Had to leave abruptly and won’t be back for a week and didn’t have a chance to clean the scum off or cover it when it went on the lift. I had major anxiety over it until I saw this and read your post lol 

I skied behind an ‘86MC Stars and Stripes last week. I don’t have pics but it was the in the worst shape of any operating boat that I’ve ever seen. 3 different vinyls in the interior, and each only covered 25-50% of the foam. Huge chunks of carpet were missing exposing the gel coat underneath, a fire had partially melted the dashboard, the gauges were cracked and cloudy. The gel coat was beyond chalky, with significant gouges through to the fiberglass.:(

she ran like a top and had a great wake, though!🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
ahopkins22LSV

It happens. This was ours after last week of being on vacation. I wiped it down a few times there but didn’t focus on keeping the boat clean. It was there for fun and fun we had!

I did wax before we left so clean up was pretty easy. 

89E535AC-4980-4CF5-A4FA-DAC4D45E5345.jpeg

• Like 3

Time to post my favorite dirty boat picture.  This is why you remove the plug if the boat is out of the water.  

Story goes that the owner left it along the side of the house...water from rain went off the roof and into the boat.  It then baked under the cover for a month or so in the late spring.  The spores blossomed nicely in that environment.  

boatfullowater_zps75ee9f1d.jpeg

• Sad 2
23 hours ago, oldjeep said:

If the boat is moored you really need to take a swim around it with a rag frequently so that scum doesn't build up.

bingo, every lake trip we take and wet slip the boat i do this daily if not twice a day, takes 5-10 minutes

20 hours ago, braindamage said:

I skied behind an ‘86MC Stars and Stripes last week. I don’t have pics but it was the in the worst shape of any operating boat that I’ve ever seen. 3 different vinyls in the interior, and each only covered 25-50% of the foam. Huge chunks of carpet were missing exposing the gel coat underneath, a fire had partially melted the dashboard, the gauges were cracked and cloudy. The gel coat was beyond chalky, with significant gouges through to the fiberglass.:(

she ran like a top and had a great wake, though!🤷‍♂️

Ah, that makes me think of one of the first boats I was routinely on.   An older DD Nautique, fat sacs everwhere, a tower that was made as part of a college senior project, etc.   It was nice to not worry about keeping the boat spotless.    I remember docking with no bumpers and not thinking twice about it.  lol  

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

bingo, every lake trip we take and wet slip the boat i do this daily if not twice a day, takes 5-10 minutes

Just gotta put a diaper on to make it easy. 

• Like 1

OP, what did you use to get it clean?  Just for reference?  Mine stays out of the water, but I have some black on my hull.  I typically use hot sauce to wipe it down, but always good to know what works.

Previously I used hydrochloride acid, seriously. Starbrite ez on ez off. Except it’s not so easy. I wear a respirator, goggles, chemical gloves. And don’t splash it on any metal. Nasty stuff. 
But I recently switched to starbrite instant hull cleaner. Contains oxalic acid which is much milder. I used it on all hard surfaces. Wipe it on with a rag, let it soak, then wipe again with the wet rag. Algae comes right off. I’m impressed with this product. 

martinarcher

Make sure to put a coat of wax or ceramic on after that.  I bet that leaves the hull pretty stripped and prone to water getting in the gel and causing blistering.  

• Like 3

SprayNine Hull Cleaner is amazing stuff. I will pull the boat out once a month, wash it and then wax it. I did have the Vantage guard applied. It’s amazing but doesn’t adhere well to the parts below the waterline. 

I typically try and slip the boat if I'll be at the lake more than 1 night...we usually camp and leave the boat in the water.  When we were doing it in June, three days in the water was n0 scum, late August, three days gives us a foggy scum line, but not too bad..  

My entire boat gets wiped down, inside and out.  All the Gel Coat gets hot sauce, and all the venal gets vinyl sauce. Even after three days of hard surfing and sunscreen all over, these two products clean the boat up looking new again.  I have a friend who slips his boat in Granby all season, his is an older Sea Ray so the whole thing is almond/white.  his comes out looking like the first photo every fall, and he uses a product called slimy grimy and it works great!  spray on, let sit, spray some more on, and then some in a bucket with a wash brush, and it looks new again as well.