Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finalizing 2022 A22order - zero off gps worth it?

TommyTuna

Appreciate all the amazing input from everyone on this forum. We are almost finalized on our 2022 A22. Last item to decide on is the Zero Off GPS upgrade at $1300 CAD.

Dealer pretty passionate about it not being necessary and that almost all boats they order are paddle wheel. I cringe at the cost but wonder if this is one I may regret especially since our lake is weedy in spots and Speedo pickup on our current boat gets clogged all the time.

I saw older threads where you could add the GPS puck but that was before the Garmin and new electronics so not sure how easy this would be after market.

Value everyone’s input - thx!

ahopkins22LSV

I say yes. Our lake can get pretty wavy and it’s no question that my friends 2018 T22 holds speed much better with gps than with the paddle wheel. I also feel it is a good bullet point in the ad for resale. Will it bring you extra money? Doubtful. Will it help sell it better? I feel yes. 

• Like 2

absolute no brainer.  I'm shocked anyone even offers a boat w/o GPS these days.  From attitude variance in speed, bent fins on paddlewheel, leaks, calibration, etc., I honestly think it should be at the very TOP of your options list.  It's like ordering without surfgate to me, honestly.

Interesting... I don't have GPS on my current boat and didn't order on my new one.  My trusted sales guy was pretty adamant that the GPS wasn't necessary and swears by the paddlewheel.  Maybe I'll add it some day and see if I can tell the difference.

its hilarious that Axis wants that much for the GPS.  My 18 T23 didnt have it, but was already wired for it.  All i did was order the antenna directly from Zero and install it.  https://www.zerogps.com/medallion-systems-antenna-kit/

With the paddle wheel, i would see my speeds swing about .6 mph.  With the GPS, i typically see a .2 mph swing. 

Edited by Texan32

Yes it is painful re: price. That said, i see the above was for Medallion(s) - with the Garmin now present in 2022+ i'm concerned there would be no way to quickly add the antenna back in.  

2 hours ago, TommyTuna said:

Yes it is painful re: price. That said, i see the above was for Medallion(s) - with the Garmin now present in 2022+ i'm concerned there would be no way to quickly add the antenna back in.  

excellent point!  didnt even think about that.

I have the GPS on my 2022 A22. We have only had one weekend to play with it. I was noticing about .1 to .2 mph deviation once it found the set speed. We were in break-in period so bags were not full and we didn’t spend much time with it on because we were trying to vary RPM’s as much as possible. All I can really say is that it seemed to work really well. We never tested the paddle wheel so I can’t compare. I have been told that the GPS is very important if you plan to use it on rivers because the paddle wheel will be inaccurate due to current speed. I’m not sure if it was money well spent, but I’m glad we have it. Cruise control was one of the highly anticipated improvements over our old boat, and we wanted to make sure it worked well. 

I haven’t boated on rivers, but I would think you will want to use the paddle wheel on a river.  The boat speed (and water sport speed) is relative to the water not GPS location.

On a side note, now you guys definitely have me thinking I missed out by not getting the GPS.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 8:05 AM, Texan32 said:

its hilarious that Axis wants that much for the GPS.  My 18 T23 didnt have it, but was already wired for it.  All i did was order the antenna directly from Zero and install it.  https://www.zerogps.com/medallion-systems-antenna-kit/

With the paddle wheel, i would see my speeds swing about .6 mph.  With the GPS, i typically see a .2 mph swing. 

Texan32, can you share some pics or info about where to install this?  The pic on the website just shows the puc.  Is there a wire lead to it or the harness on your boat just plugged in and you stuck it to the top of the boat somewhere?  I have an '18 A24 so assume mine would be wired the same.