Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

On my third ECM and found this as I did a continuity test on engine harness Part# 801066 for my 2004 Malibu Wakesetter VLX

I have yet to find the correct diagram of my wiring harness part#801066 from my 2004 Malibu Wakesetter VLX. I was wondering if anyone else has done a continuity test on this year model or part#801066 which has been discontinued from Indmar... and I can see why they discontinued it because they even don't have it diagramed correctly in their manual...Indmar_MEFI4manual.pdf...  Here are some modified diagrams that I have found with a continuity test of my own.

Showing two false wires on part#801066 harness

Indmar wiring MEFI4

Indmar 801066 wiring harness

I like the way the first diagram shows how the wiring harness should be and I have altered my harness to run the fuel pump straight from the 40amp circuit breaker to the 15amp Fuel Pump Fuse Block (#1) and then to the relay fuel switch. I also rewired the fuel relay "on/off" command wire "hot side"to come from the 10amp Fuse Block Inj/ECM (#2) as they have it in both first and second diagrams. The third diagram is how I found my unaltered wiring harness with a continuity test and had melted the MEFI Sytem Relay (R#2).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Have same boat, having an issue with boat starting.  Done troubleshooting guide and possible its a relay issue but don't think its that (have swapped all three around and tries to start the same regardless of configuration).  I'm at about a loss at this point and wondering where to go next.  Why did you start looking at the ECM?  What kind of symptoms did you have?  Mine doesn't appear to be getting injection, has spark, fuel pump runs and will run with starter fluid injected.  Injectors possible but doubtful as I've always run Ethanol Free or Premium when Ethanol free isn't available.  Trying to avoid taking it to a shop but getting to the point of no return.  Thanks.

MEFI4 ecms were disco'd by GM, not indmar or any other engine builder who used them.

The Injector ground outputs on them fail. 

Look up OBD Diagnostics, https://obd2allinone.com

They can help you look in the correct direction. And they actually have some of these ECMs, for a price. $2500.

Edited by COOP

For what it’s worth I have a mastercraft with indmar 8.1 and mefi 4. I fried two ecms trying to locate my short. It turned out to be the 16 pin plug that goes from engine wire harness to boat wire harness.  It was shorting inside plug.  Wired direct and been working a1. 

• 7 months later...
Robbodownunder

Hey Guys, did anyone end up finding the correct wiring diagram?

I am having all sorts of dramas with my 04 wakesetter at the moment. I have been using your diagram as a guide and it has helped a bit.

What I have noticed though is that there is another grey wire from the fuel pump that goes to the mefi. It joins between the fuel relay and the fuel pump and branches off to the computer. 

I only found this because my fuel pump will not turn off (always has 12v so is flooding the engine; the Injector's are all open aswell conveniently :( )

I pulled the fuel relay to make sure it it working and also check voltage and what not and found that even with the fuel relay removed the pump was still getting 12 volts.

I have checked, cleaned and refitted all the grounds but still have the same issue.

So yeah, long story short, has anyone come across any more wiring diagrams for this boat

7 hours ago, Robbodownunder said:

What I have noticed though is that there is another grey wire from the fuel pump that goes to the mefi. It joins between the fuel relay and the fuel pump and branches off to the computer. 

What connector and pin does it go to on the ECM?  The diagram above shows a grey wire from the relay to the pump.

7 hours ago, Robbodownunder said:

I have checked, cleaned and refitted all the grounds but still have the same issue.

I'm guessing that this does not include verifying each ground shown for the ECM (e.g. J1-13, J1-28, and J1-29, plus the engine harness connector Pin H).  Something is up with your power connections somewhere, and the only way to find it is to check everything.  The diagram shown should be good enough.

Resist the urge to cram a test probe into a connector socket in a way that deforms the spring tab in the socket.  In fact, a thorough inspection of the ECM connectors would be a great place to look also, since a bent pin or socket is a sure way to get a bad connection.