Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer tires

dalt1

:mad: Barely 3 years on the Trailer King ST215/75 R14 tires supplied with my 18 LSV and 3 of 4 have slipped belts. Maybe 5,000 miles on them. Probably going to put the cheapest D rated ones I can find as I have not had a set last more than 4 years in the past 15 years regardless of cost. Trailers always stored in garage and tires set at max psi for max capacity range. Could feel a hop at 15 to 30 MPH last 2 weekends and found the tread raised up around the circumference on 3 of them. Keep a close eye on any tire over 3 years old. Anyone find a light truck tire in this size with the D range capacity? 

image.png

We’re two years into Goodyear Endurance tires on our 94 Echelon LX trailer with over 3000 miles so far. They ride well and still going strong. Echelon a much lighter load and running dual axle, but been happy so far. Based on the stories I’ve heard regarding trailer tires, planning to cycle every 3 or 4 years. 

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, maxfir said:

We’re two years into Goodyear Endurance tires on our 94 Echelon LX trailer with over 3000 miles so far. They ride well and still going strong. Echelon a much lighter load and running dual axle, but been happy so far. Based on the stories I’ve heard regarding trailer tires, planning to cycle every 3 or 4 years. 

That's why I don't think it is worth the extra $$$. I have had at least 5 different brands from Good Year to Carlisle and off brands, all with the same results.

I hated Marathons.  Had plenty of trouble with them (tread separation before 5 years old).  I switched to Endurance on my boat in 2016.  They made a big improvement in how the boat towed behind the SUV.  I replaced that set this year because I hit the wear bars (I tow over 5000 miles/year).  I'm happy with the way they wore.

Personally, I'd think pretty hard before I decided to go with a cheap trailer tire.  One tread separation on the highway will cause more damage to your trailer/boat than you will save by buying cheap tires.

• Like 3

Those Trailer King tires were the worst trailer tires I have ever used.  One failed within a week of buying my boat while having to go slightly over a curb at slow speed turning into a parking lot.  I replaced them with Hartland ST radial tires from Discount, and they have been 100X better.  Based on other reviews, I will probably go Goodyear Endurance on my new trailer.

Decided to give Endurance a try. Discount tire says they will do them for $105 each. under $11 each for mounting. Could not find them advertised for under $130 each. Some places say they can't get them.

Ever since I wore the tread out on a set of Goodyear Marathons back about 15 years ago, Never had any luck since.

20 hours ago, RyanB said:

I hated Marathons.  Had plenty of trouble with them (tread separation before 5 years old).  I switched to Endurance on my boat in 2016.  They made a big improvement in how the boat towed behind the SUV.  I replaced that set this year because I hit the wear bars (I tow over 5000 miles/year).  I'm happy with the way they wore.

Personally, I'd think pretty hard before I decided to go with a cheap trailer tire.  One tread separation on the highway will cause more damage to your trailer/boat than you will save by buying cheap tires.

So Endurance been out since 2016 or before. You got 5+ years out of them with no tread separations?  Good to hear, couldn't find anyone else with more than 3 years use yet to give me a report.

22 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Goodyear endurance here too.  Very good tires and not all that expensive .

That being said, you should consider E rated tires for a 23 lsv.

Although I agree with you, E rated 14" are tough to find. Malibu should supply them that way! The 4 supplied D rated tires supplied when new have a combined capacity of 7,720 LBS. My boat fully loaded with fuel and gear for weekend tips the scales at 7250LBS. 800lb is hanging on the hitch though. Still not a lot of buffer.

51 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Although I agree with you, E rated 14" are tough to find. Malibu should supply them that way! The 4 supplied D rated tires supplied when new have a combined capacity of 7,720 LBS. My boat fully loaded with fuel and gear for weekend tips the scales at 7250LBS. 800lb is hanging on the hitch though. Still not a lot of buffer.

Exactly why I hate the stock 14" rims.  I went with them for clearance issues... 8' garage door so every inch counted, but had no idea I was limiting myself to D rated tires.  My 23LSV is 7300-7500 on the trailer ready to go to the lake.  After a year I swapped the stock tires out for GY Endurance just for a little extra peace of mind.

3 hours ago, dalt1 said:

So Endurance been out since 2016 or before. You got 5+ years out of them with no tread separations?  Good to hear, couldn't find anyone else with more than 3 years use yet to give me a report.

I’m pretty sure they came out in 2015. But yes mine were 2016 DOT coded. 

And for everyone talking about going to an E range tire, that isn’t a bad idea but you should also check the axles. Mine are 3500 pounds for a trailer GVWR of 7000 pounds. My 2014 LSV weighed 6040 pounds on the trailer when it was empty. Add in 300 pounds of lead and a full tank of fuel, plus all my other gear and I’m right at that 7000 pound max. 

I also got the trailer king tires with a 2016 date code, looking to get some new ones to replace these.  On my previous lsv I upgraded to 15" wheels to get E rated tires, I'm undecided on doing that again.

I think you guys are reading the capacity wrong on these tires.  It's 2200 for single and 1930 for dual.  I was always under the impression and using the every trusty google says, duals mean dually, 2 tires side by side.  For our trailers, we should use the 2200lbs per tire, which give us 8800lbs capacity.

• Like 2

Allot of tire separation comes from winter storage and the tires having contact with the concrete for a long period of time. 

Putting a piece of wood or rubber insulation may help. I prefer Jacking the trailer off the ground on wooden blocks. 

This allows me to give the tires a spin once in awhile to keep the bearings and axel lubed during the winter.

Edited by Rack
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Rack said:

Allot of tire separation comes from winter storage and the tires having contact with the concrete for a long period of time. 

Putting a piece of wood or rubber insulation may help. I prefer Jacking the trailer off the ground on wooden blocks. 

This allows me to give the tires a spin once in awhile to keep the bearings and axel lubed during the winter.

Or you could give your boat some winter excitement and take it for a spin around the city - a nice Sunday drive, should make it happier!  I'd throw my shoes off too if you left me stuck in the same place all winter!

5 hours ago, Rack said:

Still doesn't happen on my truck that sits the same amount of time in the same garage.  I can keep tires on it for 10 years with no separation issues!   Same for my 240 SX that sits longer.

• Like 2

I finally replaced my '02 original Marathons last year. Averaged 1500 miles a year on them. Never a problem. Would not be surprised if they had 30,000 miles on them.

When I bought my boat up in Oregon, it needed some new rubber to make the trek safely down to Arizona.  I put on whatever the local tire chain had in stock.  They were Power King brand.  I ran those for 2 years but switched to Endurance early last year.  Trailer seems to handle a bit better on them, and I like the peace of mind when occasionally hitting over 75MPH on the interstate with them.  The Power Kings weren't speed rated for that.

So far, so good on the Endurances.  They seem to be wearing nicely and provide a great ride.

5 hours ago, martinarcher said:

I've been running Kuhmo 857 Load Range E's on my tandem for a while.  I'll be buying them again.  Big fan.

I don’t think the 857s are available any more. I was not able to find any and went with the GY Endurance 2 years ago. The 857s were great tires.

• Sad 1
martinarcher
11 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

I don’t think the 857s are available any more. I was not able to find any and went with the GY Endurance 2 years ago. The 857s were great tires.

Man, that's a bummer!  

martinarcher
15 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Are the Endurances Load Range E?  I won't put a Load Range D tire on the trailer again.  We tow way too much for that....learned my lesson.  Put big boy tires and look after your bearings every 5 years or so and forget about it.  Focus on the lake.  :)