Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding RGB Lights at build vs after market?

4mc

Excited have a spray date for my boat in mid September.  Wondering if I'll regret not ordering the RGB light system interior and the swim step light.  The prices were insane for a light system and it didn't pass the gut test.  Has anyone installed RGB lights and underwater swim platform lights? What kind of cost are you seeing for aftermarket install?  Any issues to look out for if I go that route?

Assuming after market is cheaper than $2600 for interior RBG and 700 for swim deck.

That seems ridiculously high... I would like to have it if I was getting a new boat, but like you said $3300 for both seems Stupid High... And we are seldom on the water after sundown. I would think that a good car stereo shop would be able to do it for way less than that... But I could be wrong. 

ahopkins22LSV

Honesty after you factor in your discount off the msrp for the underwater lights it’s very fair when you consider everything is done already. No idea what the rgb system includes but my guess is it will be pretty tricky to get it integrated into the factory controls on the screen if you don’t want an external controller. 

I have always ordered the underwater lights because I like them and as I said I feel the pricing is fair. I don’t personally see the need for rgb lights. I normally just add white or blue strip leds that tie into the factory led interior lights to change it up and add a bit more light. 

We skipped the RGB options when ordering our new 25LSV, but we did select blue underwater lights from the factory. For the price, a 5 year warranty on holes in hull makes sense.

On 8/15/2021 at 7:50 AM, 4mc said:

Excited have a spray date for my boat in mid September.  Wondering if I'll regret not ordering the RGB light system interior and the swim step light.  The prices were insane for a light system and it didn't pass the gut test.  Has anyone installed RGB lights and underwater swim platform lights? What kind of cost are you seeing for aftermarket install?  Any issues to look out for if I go that route?

Assuming after market is cheaper than $2600 for interior RBG and 700 for swim deck.

does that include interior speakers and towers aling with those base courtesy lights?, if so its a steal, @Ronnie  can tell you for sure as he does full after market dealer installs himself snd the labor for four wire connections on thin gauge wire everywhere,  is quite the task

snd your getting the rgb controller already tied into the appropriate control system bus with controls activated snd tested 

Edited by granddaddy55
On 8/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, granddaddy55 said:

does that include interior speakers and towers aling with those base courtesy lights?, if so its a steal, @Ronnie  can tell you for sure as he does full after market dealer installs himself snd the labor for four wire connections on thin gauge wire everywhere,  is quite the task

snd your getting the rgb controller already tied into the appropriate control system bus with controls activated snd tested 

I have installed LEDs on my last three boats.  It’s not hard at all just a bit time consuming, but I consider it a fun project.  Total cost never exceeded $400 and that included all the lights, wiring and controller for the inboat speakers as well as the towers.  It is my understanding that Malibu does not include LEDs on the tower speakers as it is illegal in some states.  For me, what they are charging seems high, but if you really want the integration then this would be the way to go. 

• Like 1
On 8/17/2021 at 8:17 PM, ctvandy23 said:

I have installed LEDs on my last three boats.  It’s not hard at all just a bit time consuming, but I consider it a fun project.  Total cost never exceeded $400 and that included all the lights, wiring and controller for the inboat speakers as well as the towers.  It is my understanding that Malibu does not include LEDs on the tower speakers as it is illegal in some states.  For me, what they are charging seems high, but if you really want the integration then this would be the way to go. 

i understand you can do it cheaper but i also know a guy that has 6 revo6 in his boat and no lights hooked up, many wont take the time snd get it done