Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf settings for tall heavy riders

Axisofkinevel

Hey all, I have a 2021 T22 and we are having trouble getting the wave settings correct for larger riders. We have a Hyperlite Satellite which should hold up to 275lbs but can't get the board and wave to agree. I'm 6'4" 265 lbs. Does anyone have a wedge/speed/ballast setting that we should try? Maybe a different board to try? 

There is a chance it's operator error but others that know what they are doing think I'm not getting enough support from the wave to get forward thrust. I can stand on the nose with all my weight forward and the board won't budge. 

I can get get rope free rides on top of the wave almost dead center 1-2 feet from the back of the boat but I think I should have a bigger range to ride in. 

Thanks!

Edited by Axisofkinevel

Whats your current setup?  We have always gone with more weight and no wedge for consistency.  Weight in the bow lengths the wave.

Also understand front foot weight will only get you so far, fo blonger recoveries you will need to pump to generate speed from the fins. 

Thanks for the reply. Currently we fill the bow half way and center and both rears completely full. We have tanks and the soft bags in the rear. 10.8 mph and wedge 2-3 is the default and have spent a good amount trying to surf that with momentary sucess. Maybe I haven't found that sweet spot but I have full control of the board otherwise, I feel very comfortable and confident on it. 

I can pump the board to stay in the wave for a bit but can't get forward easily by weighting myself. The nose of the board is at or just under the water if I can move forward.

We have all ballast full.  150lbs. of lead in with batteries.  200lbs. In the bow walkway area and 250lbs. in the port side storage. We upgraded to the larger wakemakers exact fit rear bags 865lbs.  No wedge.  Here is our wave(wife and two young kids in boat).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSiCLDglLsg/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Thanks 1

@Axisofkinevel you need bow weight. Fill bow ballast completely, and speed up a bit. We generally run at 11.4 and if you can have people sit up front that is even better. We keep 300lbs of lead in the front of the spotter compartment, and move 100lbs to the very front of the bow whenever surfing. Also try without wedge like @vanamp and progress up from there. Most people like our wedge at 2, but it changes based on how many in the boat. The default speed was 10.8 on ours, and it was just too slow.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I'll try the higher speed and less wedge. We were going higher with the wedge for me, 4 or 5, maybe the other way will improve it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2020 A20 so some of my findings may be different. We are new to all this but I am an analyst at heart and researched all last winter and this summer to find my perfect beginner setting. We found this setup worked great for my wife who struggled to find the pocket. 1)PnP Wakemakers 440# Bow bag full. 2)Factory hard center  and rear tanks full. 3)Rear PnP 550# Wakemakers bags 1/4 to 1/2 full listing the boat slightly to surf side to clean the top of the wave (raises the Surf Gate slightly above the waterline). Me (250#) driving, one boy (90#) sitting Port rear as observer and one boy (50#) in the bow. Extra passengers generally ride in the bow. I have Auto-Set Wedge, which is deployed. My speed is 11-11.2 using GPS on a lake at 30+ feet typically. My setup (shorter boat) needs bow weight to make the wave longer. I will likely purchase a bow bag for the top of the cushions eventually because I struggle getting a lot of people together to surf.

My Port or Standard side wave is clean, hard and has plenty of push for my 5'9" 135# wife. She rides the Hyperlite Broadcast 5.4. It has taken us 35+ hours of boating to get it setup perfect for her. As she becomes more comfortable and less intimidated with the wave, I can add more weight to make it longer and taller. Moral of this, start small and work bigger.

Next step is to teach her how to drive the boat so I can try. I am 6'4" 250# and have the Hyperlite Landlock 5'9. I have had several taller friends use this board and happy with the results. It is a mellow cruiser and great beginner board for anyone who can flip it on edge.