Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What years are best for V Drive Ski wakes

32off

Hello

I am back again trying to confirm some old info. I have been looking for an 01 sunsetter vlx because of the good slalom wake.  I thought there were a few more models and years that had same hull and wake??? If anyone knows I would appreciate the feedback.

SE

12 minutes ago, 32off said:

Hello

I am back again trying to confirm some old info. I have been looking for an 01 sunsetter vlx because of the good slalom wake.  I thought there were a few more models and years that had same hull and wake??? If anyone knows I would appreciate the feedback.

SE

Check out the vtx if you want a v drive with a good slalom wake. My vlx is skiable, but nothing compared to my dads direct drive with the diamond hull. 

Just "upgraded" from a 2001 VLX w/ Diamond Hull to a 2021 VLX (also w/ Diamond Hull).  And while I love surfing and wakeboarding with the new boat, I have to say I really miss skiing behind the '01.  There's no leisurely pull through the wakes behind the new boat.  You have to dig and hold and prep for the landing as you hit the other side, or you will get worked.  You can do it, and it's still fun, but definitely not as enjoyable as the '01.

• Like 3
On 8/13/2021 at 2:06 PM, BlindSquirrel said:

Check out the vtx if you want a v drive with a good slalom wake. My vlx is skiable, but nothing compared to my dads direct drive with the diamond hull. 

You don't have the diamond hull on a 99 VLX.  Big difference between it and 01-04

OP, 01-04 VLx had diamond option.  We still have an 04 in the family.  Over 27mph ish and it really helps.  

• 1 year later...

use the wedge in lift mode, it will soften the wake for a manageable crossing. I have a 2021 MLX now, I had the same issue until I used the wedge!

With the screen name 32 off, not sure there will be many vdrives that make you happy.  :-)  There is a reason tournaments are still pulled by small direct drives.  

I think a VTX diamond is probably the best in a newer boat format.  Otherwise maybe a sunscape 20' with diamond hull would be the next best/cheaper option.

My dockmate and I want to split an early 90s Mastercraft or Nautique (maybe a Bu) for early morning slalom sets because the V-drives just don't deliver the same experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 03 Sunscape with the diamond hull and the wake is good at 15 off but shorter lengths tend to be a bit more of a bump. For me, increasing the speed helps. I usually ski at 33-34.