Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would this prop work well for an 06 VLX?

btrapper

I found a OJ Prop's 1236 13" X 14" 1-1/8" LH .090 4 BLADE FORCE for a really good price. Would this be a good prop for an '06 VLX? I'm normally surfing with about 2,100 lbs of ballast filled and a few people. My boat has the monsoon 340 hp engine. Would this prop be suitable for what I do? Thanks for any help!

3 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

13" prop is pretty small.  What do you have currently?

I'm not really sure what I have right now. I'm not home to check, what would you recommend for surfing with a lot of weight? I hit a rock recently and dented the prop pretty bad. It's still surfable, but I'd rather not have a bad prop cause damage somewhere else if it's avoidable so I figure this is the perfect opportunity to upgrade since the current prop I have has always struggled to get the boat up to speed quickly when the boat was under full load.

We had an 06 vlx with the 340 and used the Acme 1235 prop.  It worked pretty well, but there are others out there that are likely better.  It was a 14.5".  Some will say to go with a 15" prop (2315/2313), but there is a higher possibility of prop burn with the increasing diameter of the prop (think less prop to hull clearance).  

Diameter is too small for surfing. You’ll want at least 14” diameter and low pitch. Can’t get specific without some baseline performance numbers on your boat. Checkout the specs section of this site. You will find a section with prop performance reports