Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Axis A22 - Monsoon 409 - Engine Overheating & MIL Issue

Hello, I have a 2019 Axis A22 with 95 hours.  I recently replaced the impeller and changed the oil.  I have taken it out a total of 4 times this year since I serviced the boat (Once was during the dealer warranty transfer).  Today the 4th time out, I loaded the ballast and ran the boat to check out the wake and within a few minutes the Service Engine Alarm went off and displayed Engine Temp Issue and Engine MIL Issue.  I checked the inlet below the boat and it was clear. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the impeller to see if something happened to it.  What else should I check out on the boat?  Appreciate the help.

I have seen some thermostat failures on the Pleasurecraft Challenger Monsoon 409 engines.  If you are getting SPN 441/442 fault codes there is likely a problem with sea water flow or the impeller, but if you are only getting SPN 110 fault codes I would check the thermostat.

Make sure there are no weed or blockages in the first oil cooler.  My 409 got slightly hot (180) after a long free ski run earlier this season.  Popped off the hose to that first oil cooler and it was jammed with weeds….  Cleaned it out and all is now good.  I add that task to my monthly maintenance now…

Hot Hot.  Almost to 240.  We were stranded.  We would let it cool down and then start it up and move a little ways (60 yards or so), then shut it down when the engine temp alarm went off.  My buddy looked at the water filter that comes up right after the water inlet and he saw a few tiny bubbles and when I started the boat he did not see the bubbles moving or water rushing through.  

* I also remember the gauge saying something about coolant temp.

7 hours ago, MexTex said:

Hot Hot.  Almost to 240.  We were stranded.  We would let it cool down and then start it up and move a little ways (60 yards or so), then shut it down when the engine temp alarm went off.  My buddy looked at the water filter that comes up right after the water inlet and he saw a few tiny bubbles and when I started the boat he did not see the bubbles moving or water rushing through.  

* I also remember the gauge saying something about coolant temp.

This exact same thing happened to us yesterday (‘19 A22/409), though I noticed it at 200 and shut it down right when alarm sounded. We were idling away from launch when it started to overheat. So we nursed it back to the launch using similar strategy. Contacted dealer, they said to take a look at impeller (which had 25 hrs on it) and if impeller was fine (it was), then it’s obviously a deeper issue and to bring it in for a check. That’s where it is now. I’ll update once they determine cause.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on our boat…dealer couldn’t get it to replicate. They removed and reattached the sea strainer (which I think may have been leaking) and it stayed at 160 degrees for them. I tried the same thing at home BEFORE taking it in and it went to 200 degrees for me at home. So who knows. Maybe I didn’t get it tight enough and when they did it, they got it right. Took the boat out for a full day of play today without an issue. So, good for now. Gonna stay closer to launch for a while, until it earns back my trust.

Edited by formerathlete
On 8/21/2021 at 6:37 PM, formerathlete said:

Update on our boat…dealer couldn’t get it to replicate. They removed and reattached the sea strainer (which I think may have been leaking) and it stayed at 160 degrees for them. I tried the same thing at home BEFORE taking it in and it went to 200 degrees for me at home. So who knows. Maybe I didn’t get it tight enough and when they did it, they got it right. Took the boat out for a full day of play today without an issue. So, good for now. Gonna stay closer to launch for a while, until it earns back my trust.

Your likely not getting the same flow rate from your garden hose as when the boat is in the water.  Not surprised it overheated at home.  Sounds like the strainer was the culprit.  

• Like 1