Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

25 LSV Owners with M6 Engine?

guitarcrazy

I am thinking of getting the new 25 LSV.  We ordered a new 23 LSV this year which has been great, but thinking the new lounge seats and larger boat may serve us better.  I was going to get the M6 since the boat is same weight as M220 and it seems the M220 does fine with M6.  I spoke to another owner who said he felt the 220 needs the LT4.  Any 25 LSV owners have the M6, and if so, what is your experience?  I am at 3500', so not high altitude, but not sea level either.  Thanks.  

20 minutes ago, guitarcrazy said:

I am thinking of getting the new 25 LSV.  We ordered a new 23 LSV this year which has been great, but thinking the new lounge seats and larger boat may serve us better.  I was going to get the M6 since the boat is same weight as M220 and it seems the M220 does fine with M6.  I spoke to another owner who said he felt the 220 needs the LT4.  Any 25 LSV owners have the M6, and if so, what is your experience?  I am at 3500', so not high altitude, but not sea level either.  Thanks.  

I had a 2019 25LSV. I had the M6 and did not have any problems. However, I am at sea level. We also do a lot of dinner/ cruising so I did not want to prop down. i ran the 3077 without any problems. With that said if I was at 3500' I would probably go with the LT4. I know the guys around here that run at elevation are starting to go that way.

I also had a 25 LSV with the M6.  I live at 2700 feet and it seemed great.  It isn't all that much higher, but I noticed a difference at 3550 at  Lake Powell.  It still performed well at that altitude and if I bought another, I would go M6 again.  

Having said that, if I lived in Salt Lake at 4500 feet, I would have gone supercharged.  Otherwise I would be faced with propping down and losing decent cruising speed (which is not a big deal most of the time).  

I think you are right on the edge, and could go either way.  If 100% of my boating was 3500 feet and lower like mine is, I would go M6 again.  The LT4 is not a cheap upgrade, so there is that to factor in.  If you occasionally go higher, you may want more. 

The dealer in your area should be most knowledgeable on this.  Make sure they do a test drive if at all possible.  

We only boat on one lake, and never trailer to any other locations.  We also don't do a lot of long high speed cruises, so not a big factor.  I wonder if resale would be better with LT4?  Thanks for replies. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, guitarcrazy said:

We only boat on one lake, and never trailer to any other locations.  We also don't do a lot of long high speed cruises, so not a big factor.  I wonder if resale would be better with LT4?  Thanks for replies. 

If you don’t do cruises, then you could easily prop down. And I do run heavy 

3 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Resale is always better with the larger motor.

And it would resell quicker if you had to unload it in a hurry.  For people at lower elevations, they will possibly see threads like this and won't pay the full upcharge that the original owner did.  

FWIW, they sell a lot of Tahoe boats (6k’) around here and the dealer says he rarely sells an LT4 and no one has ever complained about not having enough power. 

We were kicking around this idea in another thread as well but doesn’t make sense for us because we’re at sea level amd I wouldn’t know where to find 91 octane on the water 

I have an older 247 with the L96 (6.0). I’m at sea level and it has plenty of power with the right prop (Acme 2313). At altitude it would be a different story. More power is always nice to have but in a brand new boat you’ll pay heavily for the option. On used boats it’s not as bad but then you have to worry about a much higher repair or replacement cost if something goes wrong. The naturally aspirated mills are relatively cheap to repair or replace. 

+1 for plenty of power with the m6. My brother’s 2019 lsv 25 does great. Think we are at 1300 at the lake we go to. Although two things I’ve never heard… “wish I had less power” and “wish I had a smaller garage”.

Edited by BlindSquirrel
  • Like 2

2019 25 LSV with M6 and home lake is just over 800 ft above sea level.  Have run the boat with 500 lbs of lead, full ballast and 18 high schoolers with no issues other than having to listen to their music:)

I just ran my 2021 25 LSV with LT4 in Tahoe for two weeks.  It was great but with a full boat of people it still took a second to plane out.  I would not get a 2022 LSV (its heavier than mine) without the LT4 if your home lake is 3500 ft.  Just my .02.  Its expensive enough of a purchase that I don't ever want to feel that I am underpowered.  I think you will have that feeling if you had a boat full of people and were surfing.  Will the M6 work?  Yes.  Will it be the experience you are expecting in a 200k boat?  In my opinion, No.

Either way congrats and post some pics of your build!

14 hours ago, 4mc said:

So for this boat with the M6 engine, what would the impact be of the torque prop, 17x14 1773, at about 500ft above sea level?

Boat would have a slower top end, louder while surfing, fuel consumption would go up, don't think there is any doubt it would do the job in a 2022 25 LSV.

We are inboard newbies. Cut our teeth on a 2017 24 MXZ which earlier this year became too valuable not to trade up. Prior to ordering we spent a couple of hours on a 2022 25LSV with the M6 + standard prop. The M6 did everything I expected and more.

That said, we still spec'd our new boat with an LT4  + speed prop. Reasons for the choice?

1. Surf at lower RPM.
  2. Higher cruise speed at lower RPM.
  3. Higher top speed.
  4. Altitude and crew size will never be a problem.
  5. Backup standard or torque prop can always replace the speed prop.
  6. I will not spend one second wondering what if...

I'm convinced the LT4 will burn more fuel than an M6 even though the dealer says it won't (my supercharged waverunner burns 1/3 more 93 octane then my naturally aspirated waverunner burns 87 octane, period). I would be pumping the 103 gallon tank full of premium regardless of engine choice.

I doubt resale will be "better". Used buyers would likely favor this boat with an LT4 vs. M6, but my experience says they will be less willing to pay for it. The less expensive boat almost always sells quicker. I do not expect to get my money back.

We took a hard look at the options list with the help of our dealer and unchecked a few boxes to help offset some of the LT4 premium. Even so, she'll arrive in a few weeks on an unnecessary triple axle trailer + 18's along with several "necessary to us" options and the bottom line changed around 5% of MSRP from the original build. At this price point :shocked: the LT4 was an easier choice than what color stitching to put where.

2 hours ago, DFW said:

We are inboard newbies. Cut our teeth on a 2017 24 MXZ which earlier this year became too valuable not to trade up. Prior to ordering we spent a couple of hours on a 2022 25LSV with the M6 + standard prop. The M6 did everything I expected and more.

That said, we still spec'd our new boat with an LT4  + speed prop. Reasons for the choice?

1. Surf at lower RPM.
  2. Higher cruise speed at lower RPM.
  3. Higher top speed.
  4. Altitude and crew size will never be a problem.
  5. Backup standard or torque prop can always replace the speed prop.
  6. I will not spend one second wondering what if...

I'm convinced the LT4 will burn more fuel than an M6 even though the dealer says it won't (my supercharged waverunner burns 1/3 more 93 octane then my naturally aspirated waverunner burns 87 octane, period). I would be pumping the 103 gallon tank full of premium regardless of engine choice.

I doubt resale will be "better". Used buyers would likely favor this boat with an LT4 vs. M6, but my experience says they will be less willing to pay for it. The less expensive boat almost always sells quicker. I do not expect to get my money back.

We took a hard look at the options list with the help of our dealer and unchecked a few boxes to help offset some of the LT4 premium. Even so, she'll arrive in a few weeks on an unnecessary triple axle trailer + 18's along with several "necessary to us" options and the bottom line changed around 5% of MSRP from the original build. At this price point :shocked: the LT4 was an easier choice than what color stitching to put where.

Congratulations.  Sounds like you made a good choice for your needs and will have a rocking boat.

In my personal experience with my last two boats, i estimate the LT4 uses MAYBE 10% more fuel if even that.  The M6 was a pig on fuel in my MXZ, the LT4 is just a slightly fatter pig, but everything is offset with lower turning rpm's.