Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help on finding motor

2008 Malibu 23LSV Wakesetter with the Indmar Monsoon 340. Trying to find out what motor I need. Any one know part number I need to replace engine or where I can find the right motor any help would be much appreciated. Previous motor dropped a valve.

59 minutes ago, Slayer said:

This is the one I've been looking at but I'm leaning instead of going with a reman 383. My concern is a lot of these engines all state HP ratings in the 290 - 310 range. But our engines have a little more (mine is 335 yours is 340). That's why I'm leaning a 383 stroker and hoping I'll actually get a small HP gain out of the transaction. I'm just bummed because everywhere I read talked about new engines being not much more than reman so people went new. However, I can find reman for 2300ish meanwhile this one is 4200 and there shipping to me (California) says 550 which is really high and makes this engine 2x the price. I've seen reman companies offer free shipping. I'm still deciding but leaning the reman 383 route.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:38 PM, saskicker32 said:

This is the one I've been looking at but I'm leaning instead of going with a reman 383. My concern is a lot of these engines all state HP ratings in the 290 - 310 range. But our engines have a little more (mine is 335 yours is 340). That's why I'm leaning a 383 stroker and hoping I'll actually get a small HP gain out of the transaction. I'm just bummed because everywhere I read talked about new engines being not much more than reman so people went new. However, I can find reman for 2300ish meanwhile this one is 4200 and there shipping to me (California) says 550 which is really high and makes this engine 2x the price. I've seen reman companies offer free shipping. I'm still deciding but leaning the reman 383 route.

Kinda where I’m stuck at because this boat has had this long block for little over year and is toast so not sure what route to go now 

Be careful-  if you change block configuration from the original,  you might need to also change the ECM calibration to account for the extra displacement or change in cam….

5 hours ago, Gary Pelletier said:

Be careful-  if you change block configuration from the original,  you might need to also change the ECM calibration to account for the extra displacement or change in cam….

Understood, I know a few on here mentioned they ultimately found the Monsoons ran rich so there was no issue and it was plug and play but I was going to reach out to Indmar anyway because a few people said they had prior to the switch and Larry said they'd do it for a little cost. I don't have the velvet drive, I have the ZF Hurth inline and Walters V-drive, I plan to buy a new damper plate as figured mind as well.

That looks like a beautiful engine, but I need to do this job for 3-5k out the door. 10k is more than 50% of what I paid for the boat!