Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat lift help - draft of front fin on Axis A22

TommyTuna

Hi folks - long story short but need to upgrade our boat lift to take the Axis A22 which has lostes draft of 27” empty.  We are in about three ft of water at the front post of where new vertical lift would go.  Top of lift carriage sits in about 10” of water at lowest so technical would need 37”++ of water to be able to float the boat including prop across the lift and clear both the front beam and rear beam of carriage

that said, I plan to have boat sitting on lift so prop and most of drive shaft are not coming across rear beam. I assume prop + rudder are where 27” clearance needed.

What is approx clearance on front fin? In side pics it looks like front fin sits much higher then rear prop/rudder. It is the only thing i need to clear the carriage beam.

thank u!

Boat lift manufacturer came back and said to budget for 20"+ 27" DRAFT of boat - 47" which is well above the 36" water depth that I have. Seems weird that their vertical lift requires 20"+draft where most others are 9-11" + DRAFT.  Makes all the difference in my situation.  If I knew draft of front fin was a lot less I would be a bit more confident on moving ahead.

Your fin only has to clear the bottom cross member which will is way lower than the height of your bunks.  I've had to walk my 23 lsv on my boat lift during low water ( it drafts 32") prop and rudder touching bottom of river so water depth less than 32" and fin still clears cradle beam.

I believe you will be fine with 3 feet of water unless the lift design is something really unusual

Do u know how long the front fin is?  I know on Axis A22 the prop and rudder are approx 16-17” below hull.  

i figure at lowest level of year I will have 18”-20” of water above the cross beam. 

Edited by TommyTuna

Dealer took a measurement of gorilla fin and confirmed it is 8”.  Rudder and Prop are about 15” below boat. So rough math says 20” of water should allow front fin to clear lift cradle beam.  I should be good with current water depth!