Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weird Knock at low rpm out of gear

I just got a new to me 1992 malibu skier. It had 138 original hrs on the boat. It had been sitting so I have went through the boat and replaced some stuff that was fuel related and or unreliable. I have changed all the fluids in the motor and trans along with new filters. My question comes from a knocking or clicking sound that comes from the motor compartment at low rpm when running it on a hose on land. I have yet to have it in the water so not sure if if would do it on the water. I am using the tack as a reference but once it drops below 1000 or so rpms it runs just fine but makes a clicking or knocking sound intermittently. I cant really nail down where its coming from but it goes away as soon as you give it some throttle. It does sound like its coming from the front. Any ideas of where to start?    

water pump and alternator brackets are tight and don't appear to be broken. Is is possible the belts are slipping and jumping at low rpm causing the knock? They seem pretty tight but don't have any specs on belt tension. Could they be too tight?