Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter 23 LSV and skiing

Shero

Looking at getting a 2008 wakesetter 23 LSV for both wakeboarding and to ski.  Does anyone know how good they are for skiing and is it an issue when you want to cross over the wake.  WE also have small children who are still learning.

11 hours ago, Shero said:

Looking at getting a 2008 wakesetter 23 LSV for both wakeboarding and to ski.  Does anyone know how good they are for skiing and is it an issue when you want to cross over the wake.  WE also have small children who are still learning.

This may be a challenge in any boat but especially a wake boat.  A lot of this depends on how well the kids ski and the speed.  example, was teaching my nephew how to ski.  It was basically his second time.  Because of his weight the boat speed was around 16.  At that speed it was a pretty intimidating wake for him to go out and more so to come back in on combos.   The main issue is that the boat is not fully on plane at these speeds.  That was true of our old, much smaller, I/O, but exaggerated on our current boat.

Once the kids start getting more confident to cut in it will be less of an issue.  

I have an 07 and it will ski well at higher speeds.  At lower speeds the wake is high for smaller kids or inexperienced.  We try to evenly weigh the boat with people in the bow or fill the bow tank a bit

It's hard to get a large, heavy boat to ski well.  The first inboard boat I ever skied behind, though, was a Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV (circa 2001), and the wake was far better than any of several I/Os I've ever owned or skied behind.

FWIW, I have an '06 21 LSV Sunscape (diamond hull), that I have a blast skiing behind, but just on a "recreational" level (have never skied through a slalom course).  Keeping the gas tank less than half-full, adding a little bow weight, shortening the rope to 15' off, and increasing the speed to 32-33 mph is key.  The wake still doesn't lay down completely at that speed, but it's much smaller, and soft, and I have no problems cutting hard across it. 

I have taught a number of kids to ski behind this boat.  At slower speeds, again at 15' off, the wake is still not too bad, especially when compared with that of an I/O.

If at all possible, you probably need to ski behind it to decide if it's okay for your needs.