Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do you have assigned seating in your boat?

Surf4FamFun

This is NOT a criticism, but I am curious.  Lake time for us is very social, people surf, people visit, hide from the sun, move to the bow, got to the stern when the significant other is surfing.  No one stays put but me at the helm.

I have been puzzled about something almost from the day I joined this board.  People who trim their boat by placing say 400 pounds of lead strategically around in the boat.  What about the people?  My kid weekday crew might hit 900 pounds, week at the lake crew probably close to 2k.  We have a 23 MXZ, and people enjoy congregating in the bow but they might move to the stern and the people who move to the front could be smaller.  My upgrade wish is tanks that fill based on pounds not % so when I look at the stern and see that the port side just netted 200 pounds that I can punch that in.

So people who are tuning their wake with lead that is only one third of what my crew weight varies by in a day do you go out with a very consistent crew or is there some magic I am missing?  Does everyone sit in the same place all the time?  

Part of the reason that I bring this up is that I find it frustrating trying to give every rider as good of a wake as the boat can deliver with such wild swings in human ballast.  What arm I missing?

We place lead for the best ride with our normal crew and when we have people out we call it bonus wave.  Once its dialed in moving people around changes it but its still a good wave. 

We are not hitting maximum capacity with lead just making sure the wave is good enough to progress on when we have a light crew.  We are contest riders and some of the contest boats are stock and not the best wave so always practicing on a huge wave can be a problem. 

Edited by vanamp
3 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

This is NOT a criticism, but I am curious.  Lake time for us is very social, people surf, people visit, hide from the sun, move to the bow, got to the stern when the significant other is surfing.  No one stays put but me at the helm.

I have been puzzled about something almost from the day I joined this board.  People who trim their boat by placing say 400 pounds of lead strategically around in the boat.  What about the people?  My kid weekday crew might hit 900 pounds, week at the lake crew probably close to 2k.  We have a 23 MXZ, and people enjoy congregating in the bow but they might move to the stern and the people who move to the front could be smaller.  My upgrade wish is tanks that fill based on pounds not % so when I look at the stern and see that the port side just netted 200 pounds that I can punch that in.

So people who are tuning their wake with lead that is only one third of what my crew weight varies by in a day do you go out with a very consistent crew or is there some magic I am missing?  Does everyone sit in the same place all the time?  

Part of the reason that I bring this up is that I find it frustrating trying to give every rider as good of a wake as the boat can deliver with such wild swings in human ballast.  What arm I missing?

you own the wrong brand, get s Supra if you want that!

10 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

you own the wrong brand, get s Supra if you want that!

I was thinking similar.........Supra/Moomba have Autowake, which will add/dump water according to where people are sitting in the boat and it adjusts to the pitch/angle you want the boat surfing at.  Autowake of the past has had very poor reviews, and they've had to reconfigure it quite a bit.  I was told there's a new version (2021?) that is improved but I have not experienced it myself.  IMO it's a gimmick.  

I think part of the problem with the previous version is that it just kept dumping water out and would get too light, and surfed like poo.  Small wave, no push. I've had to do some adjusting in my Malibu in the past too, I never have a super full crew like you do, but you should be able to get plenty of wave out of that much human ballast!  I do occasionally ask people to please sit somewhere else.  Most don't care from my experience.

No lead as I have plenty of ballast.  However, on occasion I will ask someone to switch position if the wake isn't perfect.  If we are really loaded I may ask one or two to head up to the bow.  However, my daughter and I are goofy so I don't really care about the other side :-)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I started to put in the original post that I was not wishing for and Autowake solution.

Feel better now that I am not missing out on some simple approach to this mobile ballast challenge.  

Most days, I don't worry about it.  Pretty much the only people that notice a difference in the wave are my son and me.  Most days I don't worry about it.  Let the folks on the boat have a good time.  If it is a glass day, however, I'm very picky about where people sit.  Those glass days don't come often enough to waste a single one.

6 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

Most days, I don't worry about it.  Pretty much the only people that notice a difference in the wave are my son and me.  Most days I don't worry about it.  Let the folks on the boat have a good time.  If it is a glass day, however, I'm very picky about where people sit.  Those glass days don't come often enough to waste a single one.

That is a good point.  Thinking about it the last big lake trip we did only a couple in the group ever asked for wake tuning.

I'm with everyone else - a bit of lead to help when it is just the wife and I or with our normal light crew.   More people just means better wake all around.    If we are with a lot of hard core riders, we'll ask or they will automatically move to help clean things up.   If we are with our novice friends, I may dump some ballast on one side as we are under way to help, but don't ask folks to move around.    

Less of an issue with the Larger boats.. 

I had to move things around a tad in the ol 23. However the 25 is very forgiving.. it basically just wants weight in the belly about anywhere at least the 2016 model.. 6-8 ppl in the belly anywhere, if someone or two in the bow no biggie. If we roll with only 3-4 ppl well throw an extra 1000lb sac in the middle of the cabin floor for that little extra as replacement for ppl.. not needed but adds to the fun...

The 27lsv will be better yet!