Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fold Down Swim Platform

nutoz

can some one tell me when and on what models did Malibu start offering fold down swim platforms. i am thinking of replacing my swim platform on my 2013 VLX with SG with the fold down ones.

my beam is 100" and on 2016 20MXZ had 100" beam . after that year, all went to  102" beams. can one of the crew member who has a fold down platform post a rough measurement of theirs

to see if this is even possible. also like a feed back to see if this is also worth the cost.

thanks in advance and hope everyone is having a good summer

I just upgraded my 247 to a fold down step.  I got mine from a totaled boat a guy had for sale.  Pretty hard to come by…I do not think dealers can sell them because Malibu won’t issue them for sale.  I would look at eBay and marketplace.  Mine is 102” beam…I got lucky with a newer 23’ one.  I saw one on marketplace, but the guy wanted I think $6000.  Any measurements you want in particular?

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I just upgraded my 247 to a fold down step.  I got mine from a totaled boat a guy had for sale.  Pretty hard to come by…I do not think dealers can sell them because Malibu won’t issue them for sale.  I would look at eBay and marketplace.  Mine is 102” beam…I got lucky with a newer 23’ one.  I saw one on marketplace, but the guy wanted I think $6000.  Any measurements you want in particular?

I am not sure that is valid.  A friend of mine had a pre-surfgate Axis and he ordered a surfgate platform for his boat.  It may be helpful to check with a local dealer to see if they would order you one.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Wow Macdaddy you did get lucky. Good find. How do you like the upgrade ??? I would like platform width at the transom, where the surf padddles end and total length of platform at the center from transom out.  Like to see how much variance between mine and yours.  Thanks for taking time to measure

54 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

I am not sure that is valid.  A friend of mine had a pre-surfgate Axis and he ordered a surfgate platform for his boat.  It may be helpful to check with a local dealer to see if they would order you one.

My dealer told me that unless you have a newer boat with a hull number to verify that a fold down step was an option… Malibu will not sell you one.  So any boat that did not have that as an option… you will be pressed to find one, let alone Malibu sell you one.  I am sure one could find ways around this, but it would take some work and friends with newer boats.

46 minutes ago, nutoz said:

Wow Macdaddy you did get lucky. Good find. How do you like the upgrade ??? I would like platform width at the transom, where the surf padddles end and total length of platform at the center from transom out.  Like to see how much variance between mine and yours.  Thanks for taking time to measure

I will do some measurements and get back to you.

Measurement across the back is about 68”

surfgate indentation on side of platform is roughly 16”

Measurement of center platform from hull edge to outer edge 27”

does this help?

mac

Edited by macdaddy

Macdaddy Just checked my old platform and it is about exact measurement as yours. I am sure it will be a bolt on swap with minor modification.  Now onward on trying to locate one 

The 21 VLX and MLX are 96" beams but may be too small based on the above measurements ... That said I feel like the platforms have gotten narrower and tapered (to not drag and disturb the wave) which is why the 102 measurements don't seem oversized.  Good luck on your search (or if you find hoffa or a unicorn in your search  haha)

nutoz....I think mine came form a 2019 or 2020...I just dont remember for sure.  I had to modify my swim brackets to make it work.  I am not talking about the brackets bolted to the hull...just the ones on the swim platform itself.  I also fiberglassed around the mounting area on the platform so the brackets had a wider surface to actually mount to.  Does that make sense?

mac

Yes I understand your mod to fit it. I figure as such or adding a larger plate etc.  thanks for all your input, it gave me confidence to proceed with this mod. Will post if successful in obtains the platform