Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop shaft coupler bolts

Anyone ever had these shear off? Wondering if that would be an alignment issue or maybe even running the wrong prop? 2079 that acme advised would be ok.

I have seen where the nuts came loose and some even came off of the bolts. The bolts would wobble allowing a greater twisting shear force on the them and viola! No prop strike, just torque with a good running start.    At the time on my brand new 2010 I found a brass nut and SS lock washer in the bilge. Found the other 3 barely hand tight. I replaced them all with SS nyloc nuts and never had a problem afterward.

Thanks! Suspect this is from a small log a couple weeks back. Changed the prop and it felt fine. No shake. May have knocked it out of alignment. 

Do you think a bent strut would have shown up earlier? We surfed for two days last weekend on the new prop with no issues. Opinion on that?

I have seen boats that were driven for years with a bent strut and the owner didn't realize it. 

Ten years ago a first time customer came in with a Centurion Enzo for annual maintenance.  The strut was so bent that the prop could not be turned by hand.  After the suggested repairs were completed, and the owner drove the boat, he came back in and said that he gained almost 10 MPH on the top end.  He had no idea there was a running issue until it was repaired. 

That is definitely an extreme case, but I see boats with bent running gear very often that the owner is completely unaware of.

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2021 at 6:28 AM, TNgillster said:

Anyone ever had these shear off? Wondering if that would be an alignment issue or maybe even running the wrong prop? 2079 that acme advised would be ok.

Several years ago mine came loose and sheared off due to that.   Once they sheared I was dead in the water.   I have inspected them at least twice a year every since then.   I had never heard of it happening when it happened to me.  Since then, I have learned it is more common than you might think.    Fortunately mine was repaired pretty quickly and not at great expense.  

Edited by DHixson
3 hours ago, DHixson said:

Several years ago mine came loose and sheared off due to that.   Once they sheared I was dead in the water.   I have inspected them at least twice a year every since then.   I had never heard of it happening when it happened to me.  Since then, I have learned it is more common than you might think.    Fortunately mine was repaired pretty quickly and not at great expense.  

Same thing happened to me.  I had some heavy duty zip ties and was able to idle back to the dock.