Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Handling and Fresh Air Exhaust

BillyChinookVLX

Trying to figure out if I’m crazy and alone with this, or if others have had similar issues. 

I Installed the Fresh Air Exhaust on my 03 21 VLX with the manual wedge last week. All the measurements ended up within spec per the FAE instructions. After installation I have noticed a significant difference in how the boat handles both on plane and at low speed. It reminds me of my old stern drive that would not hold a heading when you were going slower than 5 mph. 

the Malibu will not stay straight if you just hold the wheel steady. It will wander right and left a bit. When on plane it will turn right normally but turning left, nothing happens for the first 1/4 turn of the wheel and then the boat lays over and turns. It feels to me like the rudder is deflecting and pushing the stream of water into the FAE which is “straightening” the stream preventing turning. Once the rudder deflection gets past that point, the boat will turn. 

I double checked my measurements, FAE is centered along the keel. The tracking fins along the keel are tight and straight. 

anybody else notice handling changes with FAE? My other question, my wedge is off center by 1/4” to the starboard side. I don’t know if this is intentional to counteract prop torque or an issue. 

could someone with a manual wedge check and see if it is centered or offset?

Might try adjusting the mounts so the vertical portion has a more swept rearward position.

Mine will do kind of a slight shimmy back and forth on plane if it is to upright.