Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Garage addition planning.

ROFF

Hi all.    Giving serious thought to a garage addition to the side of the house for storing the boat.   Slips are a bit hard to come by at the moment and we use the boat way too much to put it in a storage place (ugh).   

For those who have done it, can you give a rough idea of your costs?    Will be about 30 x 15 attached to house with roller doors on each end plus slab.   Will be brick to match.

Thanks for any info.   

17 minutes ago, vaporbluebu said:

We just built this 18x30 and did most of the work ourselves. We paid a friend for electrical and had a company do the insulation. Cost us about $18k.

5B51E490-186C-48BD-B574-02FF454E7445.jpeg

Do you have plans or a material list?

i live in so cal and I am getting quoted wayyyy more for something similar just in materials cost. 

• Haha 1

Just did one as well, mine is attached ~40x44 with 12.5 foot ceilings and an attic. Cost? In Kansas the freeze line is 3 feet, and with the slope in my property I had to have 5 foot walls and footings. $8k for those and I dug the trenches....~$2k for the machine rental and gravel. I had the floor poured 6 inches thick. Got 3 bids for that... $14k, $14k, and $7k.... Concrete was $125 a yard, not sure what it is in your area now. My goal was $50k, but went a bit over due to the covid spike in material. Did everything myself (blue print drawings, framing, roofing, painting ect) except the concrete work so might double that cost if I had to pay someone to do it all. Best things I did were side mount high garage door openers, garage door on the backside, ceiling fans, and the elevator to load up the attic.

1 minute ago, ThinBuLine said:

i live in so cal and I am getting quoted wayyyy more for something similar just in materials cost. 

I thought about you when I saw that! lol. And that sounded super cheap to me too.

1 hour ago, ThinBuLine said:

I will look tomorrow and see what I can find.

Menards has a fantasic online designer that will spit you out a materials list.  Even if you don't have a location near them, it could still be useful to show you what's needed and price out various options.  Running the cheapest 18x30 design through there looks to be about $9k in materials?

https://designit.menards.com/Garage-v2/

• Like 1
22 hours ago, ThinBuLine said:

Attached are our permit plans we drew up. We did an 18X30 monolithic slab. The concrete was 10” thick around the edges (20” in) and then 4” thick through the middle. We were able to get 2x4x12 studs approved for the walls with them being 12” on center which was quite a bit cheaper than 2x6x12, 16” on center. I also bought the 4x8 plywood sheeting when it was “only” $30 a sheet. I don’t have a materials list but looks like it was about $20K all in with the siding. We worked with a local truss company and were able to fit a 12’x12’ garage door.

3E639552-98E6-47AC-B6D9-113FB7C7D4C2.jpeg

AD2D13B3-EBDA-4165-A666-ADB3D955D721.jpeg

0A9AA337-22B0-455C-8FE2-8C1E452BBF76.jpeg

14965E5C-8DC9-4162-ABA3-6E83EE450ADE.jpeg

Thanks for the replies!    Wish it was easy as just heading down to Home Depot with the truck.   Unfortunately the admin part of it is not my specialty.   

1 hour ago, ROFF said:

Thanks for the replies!    Wish it was easy as just heading down to Home Depot with the truck.   Unfortunately the admin part of it is not my specialty.   

Dealing with the county and getting the permits is definitely the worst part of it. Building is easy!

On 8/9/2021 at 1:15 PM, vaporbluebu said:

Attached are our permit plans we drew up. We did an 18X30 monolithic slab. The concrete was 10” thick around the edges (20” in) and then 4” thick through the middle. We were able to get 2x4x12 studs approved for the walls with them being 12” on center which was quite a bit cheaper than 2x6x12, 16” on center. I also bought the 4x8 plywood sheeting when it was “only” $30 a sheet. I don’t have a materials list but looks like it was about $20K all in with the siding. We worked with a local truss company and were able to fit a 12’x12’ garage door.

3E639552-98E6-47AC-B6D9-113FB7C7D4C2.jpeg

AD2D13B3-EBDA-4165-A666-ADB3D955D721.jpeg

0A9AA337-22B0-455C-8FE2-8C1E452BBF76.jpeg

14965E5C-8DC9-4162-ABA3-6E83EE450ADE.jpeg

Did you really get plans approved on 8 1/2 X 11 legal pad?

Man, I am jealous!!

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Did you really get plans approved on 8 1/2 X 11 legal pad?

Man, I am jealous!!

😂…yes. I live in a small town, 8,000 people, in a fairly rural county. On a project that size they don’t really care how it is presented as long as it has everything that’s needed.

Having an estimate done this week.    Unfortunately it’s looking like it will cost more than my boat!   We will see. Be nice to have but will probably just end up with a slip.