Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfband stock or option, does it work?

4mc

Is Malibu surf band a stock feature that comes with all new boats or is it a optional add-on?  What is everybody's experiences does it really work do you actually use it when you're surfing?

Not If I read my build sheet correctly.  Pretty much everything but the hull and steering wheel is an option. So technically SG is an option, like the wedge and you just add options to build the boat.

If you were to delete the Surf gates you might as well be shopping for a different type of boat.  In buying a wake/surf boat, you want the surf system.  I'm assuming you could delete it, but your resale and usability will go way down.  I think it's spelled out in the build just to show what the charge is for having Surf gates.  And with them, you get the surf band.  

I do like to use the surf band.  We've done a lot of trying different speeds and wedge settings throughout the summer to see how we like the wave the best.  It's nice to be able to adjust it behind the boat instead of yelling at the driver to change speed/wedge.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 4mc said:

Ok.  But Surf Gate is standard with all LSVs, correct?  

It is an option.  On our build the options were just short of 1/3 the cost of the boat.  Pretty much everything that is not necessary to make the boat float, move, or meet USCG requirements is an option.  

I added the Surfband Retrofit kit to my 2015 LSV and am glad I did. I mainly added it for transfers but also find myself adjusting speed and wedge from time to time. Standard or option it's a worthwhile addition to your build. 

Edited by Kojak
  • Like 2

So am I the only one who uses it to adjust music volume? I wish it had a way to skip to next song. I also use it to transfer right to left wave, I want to have full control of that timing. I don't use it much for speed or wedge because I find it hard to track adjustments. Did I just bump 1 MPH or 3? Did the wedge move 1 position or 2? The buttons don't always give me a consistent response. Must be because I surf soooo far behind the boat, haha.

5 hours ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

So am I the only one who uses it to adjust music volume?

Nope I use it all the time for music. Love the fact that it only increases the volume of the tower speakers. 

1 hour ago, Dsalyers said:

Nope I use it all the time for music. Love the fact that it only increases the volume of the tower speakers. 

I didn’t know that!

On 8/8/2021 at 8:49 AM, Kojak said:

I added the Surfband Retrofit kit to my 2015 LSV and am glad I did. I mainly added it for transfers but also find myself adjusting speed and wedge from time to time. Standard or option it's a worthwhile addition to your build. 

What was the ballpark cost of adding surfband to your 2015.  I have been considering adding it to my 2015

Somewhere around $800 through my dealer. 

For whatever reason, the first two wristbands I received both allowed water inside and quit working. Malibu warrantied both of them but it was disappointing after paying that much.

I sealed the hell out of this third wristband and it has worked just fine. It will be a pain when I need to change the battery but I want a wristband that works.

29 minutes ago, Jason63 said:

How much for just the new wrist band?? Mine has gotten water in it too and is not under warranty anymore. Thanks!!

You may want to check with your dealer. Unfortunately, I have no idea. 

• 4 weeks later...

You can get surfgate without surfband, if you order a full stereo delete. Surfband requires the Malibu head unit. 

I'm about the only one in my crew who uses the surf band, but that is because I'm the wave tech on our boat. If I'm not surfing, I'm driving and adjusting the wave from the helm, to suit each rider. 

I love being able to touch up the wave, and see what each change does in real time. 

We really need Malibu to come up with Surf Band 2, though.  Right now, there is no way to know if your input has been received by the system.  

Ideally, it would have a small display wthat shows current speed and wedge position. Alternately, some sort of audible feedback from the boat would work. Even just a beep to let you know the boat received the input and made the change.