Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Play in prop???

Just noticed while boat is off and on the trailer I was able to rotate the prop just slightly back and forth. . Just a little bit. But is this normal? Haven’t noticed any unusual vibration? But it def has some play in it. Could this be caused by a worn out key? 
I have the 1235 acme prop 1 1/8. 
thanks 

Should not be any play between the prop and shaft. Hopefully the key way in the prop or shaft are not damaged. If all if good, sounds like the shaft need to be lapped and reinstall the prop with a new hardware kit. 

If the prop is rotating with the shaft that is normal and it will be slightly easier to do when it is wet. If the prop is rotating on the shaft I would pull the prop and inspect the shaft and key stock. If the key stock/way is rounded or missing you will obviously need to replace it. If there is no obvious damage to the shaft, which is most likely the case, I would reassemble and tighten to spec and test it. There should be no movement rotational or up and down the shaft between the two pieces.

• Like 1