Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Hard to Start

I have charged both batteries and both read 12.5 volts.  When I turn the key I let it cycle then turn to start the motor. Have to try to start 3 times and on the 3rd time it will finally start. The starter never clicks its sounds very slow like it is struggling to turn the motor over. I have read different things but was wondering what everyone thought? Cap and rotor, Ignition coil (which i dont know if it has ever been changed, or where its at).TIA

20 minutes ago, tbonemalibu said:

I have charged both batteries and both read 12.5 volts.  When I turn the key I let it cycle then turn to start the motor. Have to try to start 3 times and on the 3rd time it will finally start. The starter never clicks its sounds very slow like it is struggling to turn the motor over. I have read different things but was wondering what everyone thought? Cap and rotor, Ignition coil (which i dont know if it has ever been changed, or where its at).TIA

Cap and rotor, just follow the spark plug wires. They are attached to the top of the "cap" and the rotor is underneath the cap. Make sure and buy a marine version for your replacement. If your spark plug wires are baby blue, they are likely the originals, might consider changing those too. 

So you turn the key on and hear the fuel pump cycle. Then you turn the key... and what happens? 

21 minutes ago, tbonemalibu said:

The starter never clicks its sounds very slow like it is struggling to turn the motor over.

Perhaps the starter is struggling to turn the motor over....  It is probably full of carbon and needs a bath.

Check the ground and positive leads at the solenoid and engine block for corrosion. Assuming everything is clean and full voltage is measured (12.5v -13v).... if it’s slow to physically turn over it’s likely a bad starter or starter solenoid. 

42 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Cap and rotor, just follow the spark plug wires. They are attached to the top of the "cap" and the rotor is underneath the cap. Make sure and buy a marine version for your replacement. If your spark plug wires are baby blue, they are likely the originals, might consider changing those too. 

So you turn the key on and hear the fuel pump cycle. Then you turn the key... and what happens? 

i hear the fuel pump cycle so i know that is fine. Once it starts the boat runs fine. I have owned it since new and have changed the spark plugs numerous of times. I want to say the starter is only a couple years old maybe 3. Could be that i guess and is a easy fix just didn't know if it could be some module going bad.

It is just like it is struggling to turn over. It might be the starter who knows. I have had a problem with this boat about not killing batteries when i turn it off and chill since it was new. Could never find a reason that the batteries draining.

Where is the battery location? Is it two batteries or just one? Starter could be of low quality and going bad or battery circuit is high resistance and may also drain the battery due to oxidation or just a bad layout.

Edited by williemon

Have you checked the base timing?  It should be set at 10 deg before Top Dead Center. If the engine is too advanced you will get a slow start effect.

I just had a similar issue with my 2001, and it turned out to be the starter.  It thought it was the batteries, but when I would jump one to start it, the symptoms would be the same with the engine slow to turn over.