Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sins of past boat owners

Baggerlance

I'm still working on my rescue boat. Someone here said they are like rescue dogs who just need lots of love. That definitely works in my case and appreciate that sentiment.

I picked her up in February and have been working my way through the sins of past owners.

I'm currently doing the battery move from stern to observers compartment and upgrading wiring to 2/0 along the way from dual battery to Blue Seas. Even an alternator wiring upgrade thanks to others on this site who shared their experiences. Along the way I noticed the factory bilge pump wiring was cut. WTF? In the back of my mind I was wondering why there are two bilge pumps, but now I see that the original pump must have failed and rather than pull the old and replace, they left the old in place, cut the wires, and added another pump about a foot starboard. Why I ask myself?

As I get more into it, this boat seems to be filled with stories of sins of the past. Like shearing the bolts in observer compartment where the exterior upholstery panel is in the bow walkthrough area. Right where I need to mount my new amp board. Likely because the pissed-off previous owner tore is new life vest or who knows what while pulling it out. It was brutal getting those bolts out. Dremel tool saved me.

Anyone here epoxy glue their cupholders down on the gelcoat so you can't get around them to unfasten bolts underneath?

I'm sure my experiences are fairly minor compared to others. Any stories to make me feel better?

14 hours ago, Baggerlance said:

Anyone here epoxy glue their cupholders down on the gelcoat so you can't get around them to unfasten bolts underneath?

I used silicone to hold mine in. The ones by the glovebox would fly out sometimes. You must have the arms of a 3 year old girl if you can get in there to get to a bolt.

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, Baggerlance said:

I'm still working on my rescue boat. Someone here said they are like rescue dogs who just need lots of love. That definitely works in my case and appreciate that sentiment.

I picked her up in February and have been working my way through the sins of past owners.

I'm currently doing the battery move from stern to observers compartment and upgrading wiring to 2/0 along the way from dual battery to Blue Seas. Even an alternator wiring upgrade thanks to others on this site who shared their experiences. Along the way I noticed the factory bilge pump wiring was cut. WTF? In the back of my mind I was wondering why there are two bilge pumps, but now I see that the original pump must have failed and rather than pull the old and replace, they left the old in place, cut the wires, and added another pump about a foot starboard. Why I ask myself?

As I get more into it, this boat seems to be filled with stories of sins of the past. Like shearing the bolts in observer compartment where the exterior upholstery panel is in the bow walkthrough area. Right where I need to mount my new amp board. Likely because the pissed-off previous owner tore is new life vest or who knows what while pulling it out. It was brutal getting those bolts out. Dremel tool saved me.

I'm sure my experiences are fairly minor compared to others. Any stories to make me feel better?

Recessed Rod Holders. Yes, shame, shame, shame. Now covered with step pads over MarineTex. 

40 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

You must have the arms of a 3 year old girl if you can get in there to get to a bolt.

T-Rex arms come in handy sometimes. While I'm at it I'm pulling the upholstery panels to redo the bungie netting.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Baggerlance said:

T-Rex arms come in handy sometimes. While I'm at it I'm pulling the upholstery panels to redo the bungie netting.

I've had mine 100% apart, so if you run into any questions... I'm happy to help if I can.

• Thanks 1