Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 Response Engine Question

So, anything over half throttle, and the engine RPM's drop suddenly.  Mechanic said the Fuel Pump was shot (and it probably was as it was making bad noises) so replaced that.  Problem still existed and even the odd "bang" from engine.  I heard this can happen if the fuel supply is too lean.  Long story short, Im not at this mechanic any longer and I wonder if the Fuel Filter might also be shot which is giving wrong fuel supply to engine.  2 questions.  1 - any other ideas?  2 - Where would you suggest I buy a Fuel Filter.  3 - is there only 1 Fuel Filter?   (ok, that is 3 questions!).  Thanks for any advice.

Which engine do you have?  If it is injected, did the mechanic whine about not finding a direct replacement pump?

You may have more than one filter.  Check near the tank and near the engine.  It might be best to find what you have and then buy replacements.

50 minutes ago, Foot said:

It is injected and mechanic said he needed a replacement kit because my pump was not available.

Kind of sad if the mechanic didn't change the filters first.  Anyway, test your fuel pressure while the problem is occurring.  It should remain constant at ~44 PSI.

If you haven't done a full tune up lately, you should.  Also change the plug wires if they are old.

What lead to the bad fuel pump diagnosis?  Low fuel pressure on the rail?

Loss of power after half throttle may be a problem with the fuel injectors that could be fixed by pulling them and having them rebuilt and matched. 

Hey Foot... I have been following along and I am have the same problem with my 1996 Response LX. I purchased a fuel pressure gauge from Amazon and tried it out today. Things looked great at the dock ... idle was about 42 lbs but at half throttle it was running 20 lbs and I could barely make it to 3000 RPM.  I usually get 42-4800 RPM on a good day.  I'll be installing a new pump this weekend.

Like JustGary said...the original pump is no longer available so I will have to modify the fuel line to get things to fit.  I just hope the mod can be done on the low pressure side where I don't have to bend pipe...

From SKIDIM.com the fuel pump kit is part # 49-5117 $464.00.   (well worth it if it fixes the problem)

High pressure side filter (Item #: WIX33481) $12.75

Low Pressure side filter [above the tank in the rear] (Item #: WIX33482) $12.75

1 hour ago, MoonDawg said:

Hey Foot... I have been following along and I am have the same problem with my 1996 Response LX. I purchased a fuel pressure gauge from Amazon and tried it out today. Things looked great at the dock ... idle was about 42 lbs but at half throttle it was running 20 lbs and I could barely make it to 3000 RPM.  I usually get 42-4800 RPM on a good day.  I'll be installing a new pump this weekend.

Like JustGary said...the original pump is no longer available so I will have to modify the fuel line to get things to fit.  I just hope the mod can be done on the low pressure side where I don't have to bend pipe...

From SKIDIM.com the fuel pump kit is part # 49-5117 $464.00.   (well worth it if it fixes the problem)

High pressure side filter (Item #: WIX33481) $12.75

Low Pressure side filter [above the tank in the rear] (Item #: WIX33482) $12.75

Read this entire thread before you buy an expensive fuel pump....

I went with the Indmar part because it was in stock at the local Malibu dealer.  It cost a boat load! And I truly feel that I got ripped off.

The pump is smaller in diameter than the original pump and does not fit the Indmar pump housing. After stuffing the double sided sticky foam in the housing and clamping it down the pump still freely moves up and down.

The electrical cable it came with was downright dangerous. The electrical connector had large terminal lugs that would have shorted on the pump housing and the connector on the other end was not compatible with anything.  Luckily I had purchased some two pin weather pack connectors in bulk off eBay and had a few spare to make up my own connector. I used a Dremel tool to trim the excess metal off the terminal lug.

The new pump is stamped 20 amps and the old fuse is 15 amps. I don't think the wiring will support 20 amps of current for long (It looked like it was 16 or 18 gauge wire). The pump started on the 15amp fuse without any trouble.  But taking the boat out for a test spin at the end of the day .... it left me stranded with a blown fuse.

Tomorrow I will start what I should have done in the first place and Engineer something that is safe and reliable. Indmar blew it on this one...