Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Line up Manifold tubes?

What is best guess what would cause this? Little background, Had this side manifold replaced under warranty last winter due to crack.(10 hours before this showed up) I suspect maybe it was stressed or possibly poked during replacement of manifold. Looks slightly melted on inside. Maybe heat gun to try to force it back on pipes? Boat never showed heat issues. The two pipes are no where in line as in about 1/2" or more out of line forcing this boot to be really flexed in the 3" gap between hose clamps. How do I line the two pipes up better before I reinstall?image.png.74dcc8548d969ec400dd4ae66e089e11.pngimage.png.a6676ab20859c0e172f4fc70d65a5016.png 

Looks like it was hot at some point. I patched it up with silicone and Saran wrap to save the vacation and it ran fine for the next 15  hours till I could order new one. Here is the inside shot. 

image.png

I dug in to it tonight and found I could loosen the clamp at bottom and line them up better. Problem is that spreads them further apart and not enough length on the boot for that. The boots really should have been 1 or 2 inches longer for this setup.

Aligning the exhaust pipes and hoses can be a real pain.

It is important to have the exhaust aligned to prevent damage to the hoses and to prevent water reversion which can damage the O2 sensors and exhaust catalyst.
To get  proper  alignment you may have to make adjustments at any (or all) of the 7 clamped points in the exhaust system.  That would be at both catalyst pipes where they attach at the exhaust manifold, at both exhaust hoses where they attach to the Y pipe, at the lower Y pipe elbow hose, at the elbow hose where it attaches to the muffler pipe, and at the muffler pipe to the exhaust hose below the engine.
Loosen the v-band  clamps at the catalyst pipes to exhaust manifolds to rotate the catalyst pipes.  You may have to adjust or shorten the rubber exhaust elbow that attaches the Y-pipe to the muffler and the hose from the muffler to the exhaust outlet.  Loosen the hose clamps that secure the exhaust hoses to the catalyst pipe and Y-pipe to move everything into the right alignment.  I use a hose removal hook tool and some silicon spray to break the bond of each hose to each pipe so they can be rotated more easily.
Install the exhaust hoses to the Y pipe until the lip in the hose seats against the pipe.  Make a mark 2 inches up on the catalyst pipes from the end where the hose attaches to it and slide the pipe into the hose to that mark.  The catalyst pipe and Y pipe should be about an inch apart and the exhaust hoses should have an even "bump" at the middle and not look squashed on any one side.  When you get everything aligned tighten all of the clamps.

@csleaver Thanks for all your help. I have replaced it like it was after my dealers Replacement of the port side pipe this past winter.  It is not perfect as you explain but Better than it was after my dealer replaced it. What do you think could have caused the heat damage? What temps is the water and air passing through these?

The misalignment of the exhaust pipes likely caused the hose to fail.  There are skin temperature sensors in the cat pipes that will cause an alarm and fault of there isn't enough water flow in them.  I think is is an SPN 441 or 442 alarm code depending on which pipe gets hot.  The alignment and spacing of the pipes and hoses is very important.

12 minutes ago, csleaver said:

The misalignment of the exhaust pipes likely caused the hose to fail.  There are skin temperature sensors in the cat pipes that will cause an alarm and fault of there isn't enough water flow in them.  I think is is an SPN 441 or 442 alarm code depending on which pipe gets hot.  The alignment and spacing of the pipes and hoses is very important.

Maybe my dealer or Malibu itself does not understand that, as I suspect it has been that way since new.

The drivetrain can move around a bit after rigging and some of the exhaust issues may not have even been known when your engine was originally built or installed.  I would expect everything to get aligned if you had an exhaust repair done recently, but nobody is perfect and It is a difficult and time consuming job.

It wouldn't be the first (or even the 20th) Raptor with exhaust that was not aligned properly that I have seen.  Indmar has at least three service advisories and a service procedure document available to dealers that covers exhaust alignment issues (SV2017-5MOD, SV2017-7, SV2019-2, SP2018-1).

I would nicely discuss it with the service manager at your dealer and see if they can make it right, especially after the hose got a hole burnt in it.  Neglecting the problem could possibly end up requiring more exhaust repairs.  Will it go another 300 hours before an exhaust failure?  I don't really know.