Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sea strainer mxz 23 2021 ?(temp issue after break in)

Can’t get it off.  Bad design for location and access .  Tried different types strap wrench and engine cold.  So if not threading or change of clear outside cup.  How can I get around this issue?  Have dealer mechanic coming tomorrow.   

Edited by Jaymac06
3 minutes ago, Jaymac06 said:

Can’t get it off.  Bad design for location and access .  Tried different types strap wrench and engine cold.  So if not threading or change of clear outside cup.  How can I get around this issue?  Have dealer mechanic coming tomorrow.   

Have you checked your impeller??  I'd look at that as well and it's more accessible.  

On my sea strainer in my '21 23 LSV, it was leaking and installed incorrectly when I took delivery.  There is a sectionally square O-ring in the cup that was pinched in mine and that made it difficult to remove.  I accessed it from the storage bin location on the starboard side under the transom seat and was able to remove it without a strap wrench, but it wasn't particularly easy.  Another option would be to remove the divider on the starboard side of the engine and work yourself down in there to remove it.  I would still take a look at the impeller and confirm it's intact. 

5 hours ago, Jaymac06 said:

It has hoses leading to/from it, disconnect those and put it in a vise.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Jaymac06 said:

If the dealer's mechanic is coming tomorrow I'd let him handle it.

1 hour ago, Jaymac06 said:

So strainer off now but over heating persisting,  

And you rev the throttle soon after cranking so the pump will prime?  That seems to be an important step for a lot of folks.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:18 AM, Jaymac06 said:

So strainer off now but over heating persisting,  

What fresh water pump do you have?

After getting a new pump I was still smelling antifreeze so I bought it in and they pressure checked and bleed the system and replaced the cap.

I've put on about 50hrs since then without an issue. I still watch my temp gauge very closely. 

My 2019 23 lsv with pcm 450 didn't even come with a sea strainer or its hiding from me. Anyone else's boat not have one? Or maybe someone can help me find it. I pulled out the divider on the starboard side and followed the intake from the valve and don't see one.

Not sure about a 2021 model but in the past they almost never come with them. Kinda outrageous based on what these boats cost. Indmar makes a nice aftermarket strainer with a hose fitting so you can run the engine in the driveway if needed.

1 hour ago, Saltydog said:

Not sure about a 2021 model but in the past they almost never come with them. Kinda outrageous based on what these boats cost. Indmar makes a nice aftermarket strainer with a hose fitting so you can run the engine in the driveway if needed.

Thanks,  I'll definitely look into that strainer.

15 hours ago, Hightom said:

My 2019 23 lsv with pcm 450 didn't even come with a sea strainer or its hiding from me. Anyone else's boat not have one? Or maybe someone can help me find it. I pulled out the divider on the starboard side and followed the intake from the valve and don't see one.

I'm pretty sure every newer Malibu comes with one, my 2016 had one. It was an option for an Axis until last year or 2. 

To find it follow the raw water intake hose to the pump on the engine it will be in between those 2 points.  The pic below is from the 2019 manual if its not there check under your rear middle seat.

2019seastainer.jpg

On 8/10/2021 at 7:37 AM, dcarl said:

I'm pretty sure every newer Malibu comes with one, my 2016 had one. It was an option for an Axis until last year or 2. 

To find it follow the raw water intake hose to the pump on the engine it will be in between those 2 points.  The pic below is from the 2019 manual if its not there check under your rear middle seat.

2019seastainer.jpg

Thanks for your help. Mine didn't come with one.