Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Sportster LX hour meter

Sorry for the dumb question but after lots of searching I can’t seem to find the answer. Does the carbureted 350 motor have an ECM to check engine hours? I know the fuel injected engines have one but not sure what the purpose would be in a carb boat. My hour meter goes blank intermittently, rpm continues to work but not sure if hour meter continues to accrue hours. I would like to check to see if the hour meter is accurate. Thanks 

Carb'd boats do not have an ECM. Mine has the mechanical hour meter that runs when the key is in the on position - regardless if the engine is running or not. I assume yours is the same even though it's the digital display integrated into the tach.

11 hours ago, Ballay said:

I thought it had to have the key and oil pressure to count time. Strange. 

Nope, just the on position. The meter on mine had over 100 more hours on it than the ecm said when I bought it. Someone should have told the guy he didn't need to have the key on to listen to the radio. :crazy: 

I have seen hour meters that count "RPM Time," so that the meter counts very slowly at idle, and full speed above a specific mark.  My Kubota tractor is this way.  You can idle the thing for a surprisingly long time before the meter ticks another tenth.  With this meter, nothing happens if the key is on but the engine is not running.