Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M220 Prop selection?

geogilbert

49 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

@CentexMalibu is selling his 1770 if you haven't already purchased one.  You may try that route.

Yeah saw that but OJ offers free replacement to try another prop if you don't like for any reason.

Any experience or recommendations on props for the M220s with the LT4?  I have one on order spec'd with the standard prop which is listed as a 1778, but I'll be getting a spare and will probably try something different.  I'm operating at sea level.

12 minutes ago, ztarum said:

Any experience or recommendations on props for the M220s with the LT4?  I have one on order spec'd with the standard prop which is listed as a 1778, but I'll be getting a spare and will probably try something different.  I'm operating at sea level.

I would get the speed prop from the factory if you can , the 17x17. I think standard is 17x15.5 . I have the T250 at 6100’ and added a 18x16 and the lt4 handles it no problem. If you can’t change your order then try to find that 17x17 prop on sale somewhere. You’ll have to wait to get your boat to see if you have clearance for the 18” . It fit on my boat but another member with the exact same boat did not have clearance. 

3 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Yeah saw that but OJ offers free replacement to try another prop if you don't like for any reason.

Great call. Thank you for making that known. I spoke with Eric at OJ and he was glad to exchange it, even though I didn't buy directly from them. He told me that the stock prop on the '23 M220's is the 2708 (17.5/14.25). He mentioned that they did a lot of research with Malibu to achieve the best prop specs for a boat that heavy and designed for surfing. I thought that was interesting. Still thinking on replacing the 17x17 with the 18x15.5 Seems to be the happy medium for hole shot and Lower RPMS??

1 hour ago, CentexMalibu said:

Great call. Thank you for making that known. I spoke with Eric at OJ and he was glad to exchange it, even though I didn't buy directly from them. He told me that the stock prop on the '23 M220's is the 2708 (17.5/14.25). He mentioned that they did a lot of research with Malibu to achieve the best prop specs for a boat that heavy and designed for surfing. I thought that was interesting. Still thinking on replacing the 17x17 with the 18x15.5 Seems to be the happy medium for hole shot and Lower RPMS??

What was your issue with the 1770?  Are you at elevation?  Run totally slammed?

OJ gave you the swap even though you didn't buy direct?!?!  Wow .. now that is customer service!

Edited by pauley71
6 hours ago, pauley71 said:

OJ gave you the swap even though you didn't buy direct?!?!  Wow .. now that is customer service!

OJ is great to work with. 

9 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Central Texas, so pretty low elevation (450). We surf all bags loaded + plug&Play bags loaded and typically 5-10 college kids so it gets heavy quick. The 17x17 was keeping RPMS low with 4 ppl (3800) but with 8 it was at 4k. Heavy boat + Sacked out + people adds up quickly. I think the 17 Diameter just is just too small for the boat imo. Hopefully the 18x15.5 gets me closer to that 3500 RPM without sacrificing too much hole shot. That was another big issue with the 17x17, just took too long to get the wave formed and going even with 4 ppl.

3 minutes ago, CentexMalibu said:

Central Texas, so pretty low elevation (450). We surf all bags loaded + plug&Play bags loaded and typically 5-10 college kids so it gets heavy quick. The 17x17 was keeping RPMS low with 4 ppl (3800) but with 8 it was at 4k. Heavy boat + Sacked out + people adds up quickly. I think the 17 Diameter just is just too small for the boat imo. Hopefully the 18x15.5 gets me closer to that 3500 RPM without sacrificing too much hole shot. That was another big issue with the 17x17, just took too long to get the wave formed and going even with 4 ppl.

Acme 4143 is what im running. I had the 2708 from factory on my 23’ m220 as mentioned in the prior posts. 4143 has way better hole shot with heavy loads and lower surf rpm then the 2708 and better cruising rpm

Loaded with 4 adults, 4kids, 1 person surfing full ballast at 100percent with 650pnps in rear and about 300lbs of lead spread throughout with a 150lb 3rd battery and wetsounds 15in sub going up river against current 

IMG_3932.thumb.jpeg.e66f866e2067781e6343d5ccb1f4f700.jpeg

24 minutes ago, MountainRider05 said:

Loaded with 4 adults, 4kids, 1 person surfing full ballast at 100percent with 650pnps in rear and about 300lbs of lead spread throughout with a 150lb 3rd battery and wetsounds 15in sub going up river against current 

IMG_3932.thumb.jpeg.e66f866e2067781e6343d5ccb1f4f700.jpeg

That's what I need...

14 hours ago, MountainRider05 said:

Acme 4143 is what im running. I had the 2708 from factory on my 23’ m220 as mentioned in the prior posts. 4143 has way better hole shot with heavy loads and lower surf rpm then the 2708 and better cruising rpm

Have a link?  I can't find a Acme 4143?

1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

Have a link?  I can't find a Acme 4143?

U will hav to call Dan at acme. These are brand new designs that they just finished up. I guess They worked with malibu engineers to develop this prop. 

17 hours ago, CentexMalibu said:

What are you running your wedge at? To be at 3800 RPMS  with 4 people and sacked out, your bow would be fairly high, leaving the prop angled to push the boat upwards rather than forwards. That crew size, M6, lower elevation, prop combo and fully sacked out PNP should be 3,300-3500 RPMS, if the boat is set up right. Max wedge or stacking everyone towards the transom can impact this though.

I've had no issues getting the same M220 setup to surf speed quickly, even during our mountain lake trips to 5,000' elevation. RPMS at that 5,000' elevation with 7-8 people were 3,600-3,800, compared to the same setup generally showing 3,300-3,500 at 200', where we typically boat.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, CentexMalibu said:

ive had similar experience where 17" pitch was definitely slower to form get going, form the wave, and maintain speed (compared to a 15.5" pitch) -- but switching to 15.5" pitch should increase your RPM at any given speed, which is contrary to your stated goal.

i'm with @NWBU that maybe weight distribution is the issue and it may not take much - get some of those college kids in the bow, or (gasp) drain some rear ballast when you have more than a couple people and i'll bet the wave is still fantastic.