Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M220 Prop selection?

geogilbert

Came up on another conversation, I figured I would start one dedicated to M220 props selection. 

Let's try to compile some data here and see what shakes out.

Elevation = 600ft So basically sea level.

Engine M6

Acme 3311 18x 14 

Top Speed 34.6

Surf RPM - 10.6 - Full ballast + 550 PnP - Wedge 3 = 3800 rpm
Wakeboard RPM - 75% in rears and center 22mph - Wedge 4= 4300

ACME 3079 18 x 17

Top Speed 40.2

Surf RPM - 10.6 - Full ballast + 550 PnP - Wedge 3= 3200
Wakeboard RPM - 75% in rears and center 22mph - Wedge 4- Wedge 4= 3800

Edited by geogilbert
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2022 M220

Elevation - Sea Level

Engine - M6

OJ 1784 (18 x 14) - Factory Prop

Top Speed 36.8

Surf RPM - 11.2 - Full ballast + 400 PnP + 10 people (3 adults + 7 kids between 10 and 17) = 3400

Wedge @ 2

I have an Acme 3315 (18 x 15) coming this week that I will update on.

Edited by NewMalibu

I thought the standard prop was a 17x14?  Any disadvantages to 18 over 17?  I'm running the speed prop on a 2021 23 MXZ and love it but was concerned about stepping up to it on the M220.  

That said, @NewMalibu numbers are pretty good.  18x17 sounds like a big jump.

1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

I thought the standard prop was a 17x14?  Any disadvantages to 18 over 17?  I'm running the speed prop on a 2021 23 MXZ and love it but was concerned about stepping up to it on the M220.  

That said, @NewMalibu numbers are pretty good.  18x17 sounds like a big jump.

The 18 x 14 is the factory 'High Altitude' prop. I'm not a prop expert, but I think the only 'disadvantage' is that you are moving more mass with an 18" prop vs a 17". that being said, the M6 does not seem to have any issues turning it what so ever. I had the Raptor 450 in my 23LSV and that sometimes struggled (I think I had the 2249 - 15 x 14.25 prop) when I had a lot of people/weight. 

The M6 has zero issues with turning the prop. I just have a bunch of cavitation on the 18x14. Almost constant while wakeboarding. But it did have sickining power just a lower top end. 

The 18x17 cleaned up the cavitation (There is basically none now) added significant top end which really translates into a higher comfortable cruise speed. And lowered the RPMS for Wake and Surf. 

Only downside is I had a large crew and it was a bit slow out of the hole when fully loaded. But, we subsequently found that you cannot overload the boat or the wake turns to junk. Too much weight is bad. 

Tonight I ran an Acme 3315 (18 x 16). here are my initial results.

2022 M220

Elevation - Sea Level

Engine - M6

Acme 3315 (18 x 16)

Top Speed 38.7

Surf RPM - 11.2 - Full ballast + 400 PnP + 10 people (2 adults + 4 kids between 10 and 15) = 3150-3200

Wedge @ 2

while the surf RPM's were lower than the OJ prop, it didn't have the hole shot of the OJ. it wasn't bad, but we also had less people weight. I was surprised that the top end wasn't a little higher. I think I am going to stick to the OJ 18x14 and use the Acme 18x16 as my spare.

I didn't have the cavitation with either prop that @geogilbert had with his Acme 18x14. I was once told that OJ props are thicker/stiffer than the Acme props (don't know if that is true or not). if it is true, I wonder if that has anything to do with the cavitation that @geogilberthad?

On 8/24/2021 at 11:13 AM, geogilbert said:

The M6 has zero issues with turning the prop. I just have a bunch of cavitation on the 18x14. Almost constant while wakeboarding. But it did have sickining power just a lower top end. 

The 18x17 cleaned up the cavitation (There is basically none now) added significant top end which really translates into a higher comfortable cruise speed. And lowered the RPMS for Wake and Surf. 

Only downside is I had a large crew and it was a bit slow out of the hole when fully loaded. But, we subsequently found that you cannot overload the boat or the wake turns to junk. Too much weight is bad. 

We mainly surf but occasionally wakeboard but never run full ballast because ... well honestly, I'm not that good.  I appreciate the feedback but will probably go 18x17 .. or maybe the 18x16 if that is an option since its a little more middle of the road.