Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Air intake hose getting water

Oak4135

‘07 Malibu with air intake vents on front bow behind grills, take on water when wave hits nose.  Any solution other than “not hit waves”?  Have to run shop back hose down to get out of vent tube.  Vent hose ends in battery compartment, not sure if that is where it should or not.  Water from hose not getting in there due to sagging the flexible hose about a foot after entering.  Thoughts?

If you are consistently getting water in those vents... I'd say it's caused by the driver. Check youtube on how to drive a boat in rough water or waves. You should not be getting water up there.

boat

Thanks, I’d say you’re right.  I’ve not boated in 20 years and the waters a lot rougher than it was back then.  I’ll take your advice.  Does your port side vent run to your space under the glovebox also?  
Nice boat, I just got mine about a month ago, wish I had a tandem trailer.  

27 minutes ago, Oak4135 said:

Thanks, I’d say you’re right.  I’ve not boated in 20 years and the waters a lot rougher than it was back then.  I’ll take your advice.  Does your port side vent run to your space under the glovebox also?  
Nice boat, I just got mine about a month ago, wish I had a tandem trailer.  

Yeah, these inboard ski boats do take a good amount of getting used to, they sit low and the bow doesn't rise as much as an i/o. Not my boat in that pic, just one I found on google. :cry:I have a 98 VLX and the air intakes are up under the windshield, so well away form the water. Even then they have a black air tube that takes the air to the engine bay. When we do get stuck in the rain or the rare event we take water over the front, "Chili dip" we call it, I use a wet vac to get the water out when we get home.

Is there nothing behind those vents? No hose or anything? Does yours have the vent under the windshield?

36 minutes ago, Oak4135 said:

wish I had a tandem trailer.  

Our VLX is on a single axel trailer. Other than the better look of the tandem... I'm happier, I think, with my single. Half the cost to maintain and easier to move around if needed in the garage. My brother has a 25 LSV on a triple axel.... looks really sweet, but leaves black marks around every turn. He'll need tires soon. Also the state turnpike around here charges per axle... lol.

The hose you see under the glove box should get air from in front of the window, and that hose should be routed through a hole in the floor to the bilge.  That same setup is also under the drivers helm.  I owned an 07 for 14 years without those hoses attached and never got water in there.  Hate to say it, but if your constantly getting water in there, learning to drive the boat through big waves would be the first thing I do.

Edit:  looking at your avatar, if that's your boat, the vents I'm talking about probably aren't what your talking about.  Do the vent hoses go all the way to those front vents in the bow?   Either way, there should be a hole in the floor in the observers compartment to rout the hose.

Edited by calilsv
  • Like 1

It’s an ‘07 Sunscape lsv.  No vents under windshield.  Hoses go to the vents on front sides of bow.  Haven’t seen hole in floor behind observer seat.