Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starboard ballast pump signal 12V, pump won’t turn on

New here, bought 2018 A24 with 100 hours last week after selling my Yamaha, yes the market is still hot.  

Out all day yesterday and all tanks filled and drained great.  We took a break for dinner and I drained them to dock in case we decided to head home.  Kids wanted another round of surfing in evening, so went to refill tanks, but Starboard ballast would not fill.

Now I have it on the trailer.  Here’s what I have found and I am stumped.

-Both port and starboard have 12.1V going to pumps at connectors in rear, checked with voltmeter and turning pumps on from dash pad.
-Both pumps (impellers) turn on when hooked to port side and direct to 12V battery

-nothing is clogged.

what am I missing?  How can I get 12.1V signal on starboard and good pumps wont turn on, but will on port side with exact same voltage?

Edited by Topherbd16
2 minutes ago, csleaver said:

Swap the starboard and port pump motors and see if you have the same problem filling the starboard tank or if the issue moves to the port side.

I did.  Both pumps work on port side.  Neither pumps work on starboard side.  Both starboard and port connectors by transmission have 12.1v when on, 0v when off.   Both pumps turn when hooked directly to 12 v battery too.  I’m scratching my head.

So the pumps do not run when connected to the starboard harness plug?  See if you have a good ground on the connector or damage pins or a damaged wire at the crimp.  If you connect the pump, and turn it on, do you get battery voltage and ground on the pump side of the connection?  Back probe the connector to see if you are getting a voltage drop on the circuit when it is turned on with a load (the load being the working pump plugged in).

3 hours ago, csleaver said:

So the pumps do not run when connected to the starboard harness plug?  See if you have a good ground on the connector or damage pins or a damaged wire at the crimp.  If you connect the pump, and turn it on, do you get battery voltage and ground on the pump side of the connection?  Back probe the connector to see if you are getting a voltage drop on the circuit when it is turned on with a load (the load being the working pump plugged in).

I did what you said and it appears to be the harness/Delphi connection.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I took the cap off the cartridge and could read voltage at the motor on port side, of course it was spinning.  Nothing on starboard side.  The female harness connection pins from the hull starboard side seem to be sliding away or short of the male pump connector pins.  This particular female side harness connector sticks out about 1 inch from the hole in the hull with 0 slack left.  Whoever wired this gets an F for no way to work on this connector.  And my guess is it has been serviced before and tugged on ensuring the pins slide back.  I’m going to depin it and make my own waterproof jumper… fingers crossed this solves it.