Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 raptor 410 no power

Have 2 fault codes right now. 
EG04 open/lazy

SPN:3266 FMI:5

boat was in for oil leak found at oil pressure sensor. Before that it was good to go. Never got to lake test it after. 

now it has zero power. Anyone have any ideas?? We’re on holidays right now and just put it into the lake. 

thanks. 

If you are getting a SPN 3266 FMI 5 fault code that means the post cat O2 sensor may not be working.  That is the sensor on the starboard side on the exhaust down pipe near the Y pipe on the back of the engine.  Make sure it the harness is plugged into the sensor.  If the problem continues, swap the port and starboard side O2 sensors.  If the sensors seem wet or covered with moisture there could be damage to the catalyst, especially if the code remains the same.  If the code changes to SPN 3256 FMI 5 after swapping the sensors then you probably have a bad O2 sensor.

• Thanks 1

I’ll look at that right now. 

both those codes are inactive now but boat is struggling to make a wave. It’s can’t even maintain surf speed. And the throttle is all the way pinned. 

That is why I pumped out the tank. 

When I looked at the engine diagnostics the cam throttle status stays at 0x0. Is that normal?  

thanks csleaver for the ideas and reply 

You won't be able to tell when the inactive fault codes occurred using the touch screen, but diacom can be used to show how many engine starts have occurred since the fault happened.

Not all of the data on the engine diagnostics touch screen is accurate or useful.  For example, the fuel pressure will read 100 PSIA when the fuel pressure is actually 60 PSI, but you can see the TCP throttle control position (which is how much you moved the throttle lever) and the TPS (which is how much the engine throttle is actually opening) which may be useful.

There are no sensors to tell you if the fuel is contaminated or if you have low engine cylinder compression which could cause a power loss, but the engine can sense misfires caused by those conditions and that would cause an alarm.  Most running issues I see are caused by voltage drops from loose or corroded cable and harness connections.  The very first things I check is the condition of the batteries, the battery connections, the battery switch connections, the power post connection near the port transmission mount, the battery ground at the engine on the starter mounting bolt, and the round main harness connection from the boat to the engine above the transmission.

Are you having the same lack of power with the wedge stowed and the ballast empty?  Is the boat being operated in the same body of water at the same altitude it usually is?  Has there been a recent change in the prop, ballast, or the amount of crew or equipment weight than normal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, csleaver said:

You won't be able to tell when the inactive fault codes occurred using the touch screen, but diacom can be used to show how many engine starts have occurred since the fault happened.

Not all of the data on the engine diagnostics touch screen is accurate or useful.  For example, the fuel pressure will read 100 PSIA when the fuel pressure is actually 60 PSI, but you can see the TCP throttle control position (which is how much you moved the throttle lever) and the TPS (which is how much the engine throttle is actually opening) which may be useful.

There are no sensors to tell you if the fuel is contaminated or if you have low engine cylinder compression which could cause a power loss, but the engine can sense misfires caused by those conditions and that would cause an alarm.  Most running issues I see are caused by voltage drops from loose or corroded cable and harness connections.  The very first things I check is the condition of the batteries, the battery connections, the battery switch connections, the power post connection near the port transmission mount, the battery ground at the engine on the starter mounting bolt, and the round main harness connection from the boat to the engine above the transmission.

Are you having the same lack of power with the wedge stowed and the ballast empty?  Is the boat being operated in the same body of water at the same altitude it usually is?  Has there been a recent change in the prop, ballast, or the amount of crew or equipment weight than normal?

Looked at the plugs on both sides. Everything looks good there. 
I’ll look at the TCP and TPS when I get it back into the water. Good info there.
Have used the boat where I am right now before with no issue  

It’s hard for the boat to plain, it does eventually but not what it used to be like. That’s with everything off and no water in tanks. 
The prop has been changed. I had the OJ 948. I have a porpoising issue and Malibu gave me 2 props to try. Total different story on that.  Had the 2277 on it and thought that was the initial problem. So I pulled the boat out and put on the 2249 they gave me. Same thing. The 2249 on paper is really close to the OJ.
The 2277 did work about 3 weeks ago. Lake elevation is about  900ft lower from where I am now. 
Ballast is all factory. No additional bags and crew is the same. 

Looked at the connections I could get to. Found one loose one on port side positive terminal block. Also one at the night switch but couldn’t tighten it as it was loose through the plastic. 

Going to drop it into the waster today and see how it goes. 

Thanks.