Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Issues with Surf Gate

Hi,

I live in Las Vegas, NV and I took my 2017 Malibu 22MXZ to Boulder Boats and they had it for a week but the service guy said he couldn't duplicate my issue..

I just got home and tested the surf gate system and they're still broken!!

I get warnings like: "Surf Gate Extending Left" or "Surf Gate Extending Right"

Made a video showing this issue https://drive.google.com/file/d/16gnl8qF6a9t5zgibGJuaeuuXwJlKosSU/view?usp=sharing

What do you guys recommend I should do?

Edited by Delpiero

Loose connections or low voltage are almost always the cause of intermittent surf gate problems that are inconsistent. 

Check the condition of the batteries and the cable connections first.  Then check the power post by the port transmission mount under the center rear cockpit seat.  The post has large red battery cables attached to it, so it should be easy to find.  Make sure the cables are tight and clean.

I usually check the wires on the four breakers located on the carpeted panel in the port rear storage compartment where the PNP bag is.  There are four screws holding the panel in place.  Once they are removed the panel can be pulled out to expose the back of the breakers, the relay pack, and the I/O module.  Disconnect the plastic electrical connectors then reconnect them securely, then make sure all of the nuts on the breaker wire connections are tight enough that you can not move them back and forth by hand. 

I also disconnect and check both of the connectors going to each of the surf gate actuators and make sure they are plugged in tight.  The actuator connectors are in the engine compartment right against the transom at the very back of the boat.  On each actuator, one connector has large 12 gauge blue and green wires and the other connector has very small 18 gauge red and black wires.

If that doesn't solve the issue, then there may be an intermittent internal issue with the actuator or damaged wires in the harnesses that would need to be replaced.  In that case, take the video to your dealer so they can get Malibu to cover the repair.

• 2 years later...

Late reply to this post but did they ever figure out the issue with your surfgates? We have replaced actuators computer and relay. Still same thing. Our surf gates get stuck out says surfgate retracting right and left.  We have to shut the boat off turn the batteries off to get it to reset. Sometimes have to do this a couple times to reset.