Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pneumatic upholstery stapler recommendations

I was surprised how well the cheapo Central Pneumatic one from Harbor Freight works and it uses standard T50 staples that you can get from most hardware stores, even stainless staples (which I would recommend).  There are plenty of better staplers, but I have run thousands of staples through mine with no issues.

6 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Anyone have a Pneumatic upholstery stapler recommendation?  Going to need something for repairing a skin I need to remove, and ultimately for a full scale skin replacement.

I used this arrow stapler for boat skins, bunk carpet, and many other projects. Staples are easy to find, even the SS staples.  <$40

F962E455-8C0F-4CEF-9B3D-B96B88FE7FB6.jpeg

Edited by Bozboat

The only thing I find hard to do with the HF stapler is getting the staples in the right place inside the hidem trim.  A little silicone spray makes it easier to slide the staple head into the center of the hidem.  A longer nose stapler would probably make this easier, like the ones from Sailrite.  They actually have a good website full of DIY videos and supplies.  I think their staplers use 1/2 crown or 12mm staples that would actually be wider than a T50 or 10mm crown staple.  I usually use 3/8 length staples for vinyl and 1/2 length for carpet.

I have used a t 50 and it works fine.  Just make sure you have long enough staples and yes SS.  However my wife bought me a dewalt narrow crown and it was waaaaay better.  I have done quite a few skin projects with both.  
the hard part is when you are over lapping the skins at a corner.  

Edited by MTBoy

I had a difficult time getting pressure right with the narrow crown stapler.  Staples   Cut through the vinyl or didn’t go deep enough.   T50 was better for me. 

Edited by mtagher

I wound up getting the same Arrow that Bozboat has - they had them at the local home depot.  Wasn't too big a deal to fix.  I used a strip of flex tape under the hinge to reinforce the tears in the vinyl where the hinge got pulled against them. (can't see any of it unless the hatch is open) Of course I didn't take any pictures of it going back together, just the damage where the pieces of fiberboard got pulled apart at the hinge.  Little construction adhesive and some new screws and that is stronger than new.  The factory uses a lot of staples ;)

IMG_20210802_161731.thumb.jpg.905d5f54da2e1e1bfa08076a0bd84e64.jpg

IMG_20210802_161914.thumb.jpg.6dc632f48852ab75216630d742224b24.jpg

IMG_20210802_163803.thumb.jpg.c0db3cab54680623c87dddebc9c6550f.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

Guess it will be getting a bunch of use.  Just ordered all 10 flat seat skins from Gabe and they should be here in about 3 weeks.  Going to get rid of the diamond pattern vinyl that is degrading and replace it with a normal smooth vinyl.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Question - now that I have my skins and am looking at installing one.  How did you get the piece of vinyl that goes down between the 2 pieces of foam stapled without a long nosed stapler?  Or did you not staple it like the factory skins?

IMG_20210831_161944.jpg

IMG_20210831_164306.jpg

IMG_20210831_164309_1.jpg

I took the smaller piece of foam off using a putty knife. Then cleaned up the "board" where it was.  Then stapled the middle piece first.  I also used some spray adhesive to put it back on, but Gabe didn't recommend having to do that, because the skin will hold the foam in place.  If you don't remove a piece of foam, you'll have to staple through the skin, which you don't want.

Also, just looking at your foam - it looks like you have some colored growth of something on it.  I'd be concerned about that bleeding through your new skins.  Like leaving stained pad under new carpet, prob not the best idea.

I do the same thing.  I use spray glue to secure one piece of foam on the base, staple the skin and divider in place around the first piece of foam, then put the second piece of foam on the base and staple the rest of the skin around the edges.  On most cushions I will start with the larger rear foam piece, then do the smaller front foam piece.

Once the skin is stapled on I cover the staples on the underside of the base with hidem.

Edited by csleaver

One done, and I'm going to stop there for the week.  Seems OK but it'll get tested this weekend as this is the most stepped on cushion in the boat.   Putting the vinyl on wasn't that bad, except that the foam is pretty squished on the side that people step on the most.   The hidem was a huge pain in the rear.  If I wasn't so concerned about shooting a staple through my finger I would just remove the press in safety from the stapler to make it easier.  

IMG_20210901_140106.jpg

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

One done, and I'm going to stop there for the week.  Seems OK but it'll get tested this weekend as this is the most stepped on cushion in the boat.   Putting the vinyl on wasn't that bad, except that the foam is pretty squished on the side that people step on the most.   The hidem was a huge pain in the rear.  If I wasn't so concerned about shooting a staple through my finger I would just remove the press in safety from the stapler to make it easier.  

IMG_20210901_140106.jpg

If you have a steamer it's amazing how you can make the squished foam grow back to its original shape.  

1 minute ago, Ndawg12 said:

If you have a steamer it's amazing how you can make the squished foam grow back to its original shape.  

We have one meant for doing dress shirts on the hanger but it doesn't put out much steam

Assuming I find a better steamer - does the foam growing thing work with the skins on or is the idea to fog the foam while it is out of the skins?

Also, after watching a couple of Sailrite videos I ordered a long nosed stapler (whats another $30) since it looked like that was the secret to installing the hidem - and the safety was not on the nose in the way.

Edited by oldjeep
5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Assuming I find a better steamer - does the foam growing thing work with the skins on or is the idea to fog the foam while it is out of the skins?

Also, after watching a couple of Sailrite videos I ordered a long nosed stapler (whats another $30) since it looked like that was the secret to installing the hidem - and the safety was not on the nose in the way.

When the skins are off.

You can also use the steam to help shape the "bends" where the skin goes around a corner or seems to have a wrinkle or pucker.  Simply work the skin wrinkle with your fingers while applying steam - well really steam, then work, since fingers and steam sometimes don't mix.  but bare fingers help keep you from getting the skin too hot, if you can still touch it, you are good and not hot.