Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skim Style Fin Setup

TexasTurner

Can anyone tell me how the fin setup on a skim style board affects the performance of the board? push, “looseness”, control etc..

I have a Phase 5 MVP and it is tough for me to control. It only has the single fin but has the capability to move forward and backwards (maybe an inch or two)

I can’t for the life of me find this information online anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. 

I also have a surf style that I love but I don’t want to give up on this skim style until I give it everything I have. 

1 hour ago, TexasTurner said:

Can anyone tell me how the fin setup on a skim style board affects the performance of the board? push, “looseness”, control etc..

I have a Phase 5 MVP and it is tough for me to control. It only has the single fin but has the capability to move forward and backwards (maybe an inch or two)

I can’t for the life of me find this information online anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. 

I also have a surf style that I love but I don’t want to give up on this skim style until I give it everything I have. 

I have the MVP. I don’t think moving that fin forward or back is going to help much. That has a 1” fin. You can try a 2” skim fin. I tried that on mine for the heck of it and I did not like it. Unfortunately with the skim boards with only one fin, you don’t get much push from behind, especially with the shape of the MVP. You really just have to learn to use the edges to control it.

• Like 1

I usually recommend getting a larger fin to start and working to the stock fin and then to finless if you want to get to that level.  Moving it back can help a bit but its not a huge difference.

@Hemmy is spot on about the edges.  Make sure  you are shifting your hips towards the wave and not breaking at the waist.  When learning a lot of people will break at the waist to try to get on their toe edge but it actually shifts your hips and center of gravity behind you. 

If you don't find your groove with skim style you can always join us on the dark side (surf style).

• Like 2

Uggh I’m trying so hard to learn that style. I ended up ordering the 2” fin so I will try that out. I love my surf style board but hate that I bought this one and can’t ride it! Lol. 

Thanks for the advice!

17 minutes ago, TexasTurner said:

Uggh I’m trying so hard to learn that style. I ended up ordering the 2” fin so I will try that out. I love my surf style board but hate that I bought this one and can’t ride it! Lol. 

Thanks for the advice!

Give it time. Once you figure this board out, you will love it. It is definitely going to be looser than you surf style board. I went from a P5 Matrix (which is shaped to give a little push from the back) to the MVP which provides almost no help from the backside. This is why this board is for the advanced level rider (which I am not). Don’t give up on it and don’t be ashamed to keep the rope in your hand until you get the feel of the board and managing to control it.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

Give it time. Once you figure this board out, you will love it. It is definitely going to be looser than you surf style board. I went from a P5 Matrix (which is shaped to give a little push from the back) to the MVP which provides almost no help from the backside. This is why this board is for the advanced level rider (which I am not). Don’t give up on it and don’t be ashamed to keep the rope in your hand until you get the feel of the board and managing to control it.

Thanks for the advice. Today I had a hard time keeping it straight. The nose just wanted to kick out towards my heel side. I ended up moving my feet more toe side which helped and tried moving my front foot up but that just made me dunk it. 

My original thought for the board was to learn shuvs but I’m wondering if I’ll ever be able to get my stance back if I get the shuv down. Haha. 

More practice tomorrow. Hopefully it becomes as comfortable as my other board. I’ve only heard the best things and everyone says exactly what you said. Once you learn how to ride it, you will love it. 

On 7/30/2021 at 10:18 PM, TexasTurner said:

Thanks for the advice. Today I had a hard time keeping it straight. The nose just wanted to kick out towards my heel side. I ended up moving my feet more toe side which helped and tried moving my front foot up but that just made me dunk it. 

My original thought for the board was to learn shuvs but I’m wondering if I’ll ever be able to get my stance back if I get the shuv down. Haha. 

More practice tomorrow. Hopefully it becomes as comfortable as my other board. I’ve only heard the best things and everyone says exactly what you said. Once you learn how to ride it, you will love it. 

Like others have said, bigger fin will help.  I’m a bigger guy and ride the trident that came with a three fin thruster style setup.  It didn’t take long until I went to single fin, but I appreciated learning with the 3 fins.  I now ride with the 1 inch fin, but rode for about 2 seasons on the 2 inch and it will lock the board in better than the small one for sure, but single fin will still be loose.  Have some patience and get some time in.  It will get better quickly and you won’t regret being able to ride both styles!