Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M220 engine choice

Wcl

Im currently riding a 2018 23 lsv with 6.2 ho 450.  My boat stays at 5000 ft.  I have found this engine to be slightly underpowered.  E.g. runs high rpms when surfing fully loaded.  Upgrading to an m220, would like to go with m6 engine, does anyone think i need to go with lt4.  Thanks

I had a mxz 23 with the M6.  In Tahoe (6000 ft) full boat surfing was a little issue.  I now have an LT4 in a 25 LSV and it’s amazing up here at altitude.  The M220 is heavier than my older MXZ.  I think you need the LT4 at 5000 ft if you want no power issues.  You won’t regret it!

I have an LT4 in my 2021 25LSV.  We split time between Northern Utah reservoirs at 6,000 ft and Lake Powell.  I would recommend the LT4 -- super quiet, we surf at sub 3K RPMs and we are never wanting for more power -- ever!  Previously I had a 2015 23LSV with the 555 Supercharged LSA and this LT4 provides so much more power at lower RPMs and is much quieter -- LT4 FTW.

19 hours ago, jammer said:

I have an LT4 in my 2021 25LSV.  We split time between Northern Utah reservoirs at 6,000 ft and Lake Powell.  I would recommend the LT4 -- super quiet, we surf at sub 3K RPMs and we are never wanting for more power -- ever!  Previously I had a 2015 23LSV with the 555 Supercharged LSA and this LT4 provides so much more power at lower RPMs and is much quieter -- LT4 FTW.

You running the std or high altitude prop?  

What is your top speed?

Not a decision factor but wondering what your GPH looks like.  The son of a Mechanical Engineer in me wonders if the LT4 really burns much more if any more fuel than a M6 in the same application.  With lower RPM's and a good spot on the toque curve the supercharger overhead would hurt the GPH but everything else would be working for equal or better GPH numbers.  Then I remember reading one time that the supercharger on a top fuel dragster is over a 1,000 hp parasite at the end of the track and wonder if my thinking is flawed.  

I run the standard prop (3077 IIRC) and my top speed in Tahoe is about 42.  If I was at my normal lake it’s about 45+mph.

The fuel burn feels very similar to the M6 in my 23 MXZ. I would estimate it burns MAYBE 10% more fuel if even that.  We surfed at 2750 rpms yesterday. (11.6 mph wedge 4 all ballast and PNP bags full 350 lbs of lead and 7 people in the boat)

the LT4 does everything at lower rpms which I’m assuming offsets the extra fuel needed for the supercharger.  

5 hours ago, djheywood said:

I run the standard prop (3077 IIRC) and my top speed in Tahoe is about 42.  If I was at my normal lake it’s about 45+mph.

The fuel burn feels very similar to the M6 in my 23 MXZ. I would estimate it burns MAYBE 10% more fuel if even that.  We surfed at 2750 rpms yesterday. (11.6 mph wedge 4 all ballast and PNP bags full 350 lbs of lead and 7 people in the boat)

the LT4 does everything at lower rpms which I’m assuming offsets the extra fuel needed for the supercharger.  

Thanks!

I have a m220 and the M6 does ok but if I was ordering a new one I would get the LT4.    It is an amazing engine.   The M6 runs around 3700 RPM's while surfing.    If you have a bunch of friends or turn wedge way up it will get around 4000.   

It is pretty loud because of the higher RPM's.    My friends LSV 25 with the LT4 runs below 3000 and is much quieter.   I think it burns less gas then my too probably because of the lower RPM's.    I am jealous of his engine and he is jealous of my wave.   LOL.  

def go with the LT4. We are in utah and will not order an M220 without the lt4. That is a heavy short boat that can use the extra power. Does IWS have one you are able to demo?

22 hours ago, Wcl said:

They dont but i think ill go with the lt4.  Thanks

Good choice. I have the M240 and operate at 4500 and up in elevation. There’s no way I would want anything less in the M series boats.

So while I am at sea level more or less here in Ohio. I think 600ft. I have had no issues with the M6. I mean sure, no one has ever been sad about ordering the bigger motor but, the m6 has plenty of power from my perspective. 

With 12 people, All factory and PnP at 100%. 600lbs of led center of the boat. I had no issues getting up to wakeboard speed. I do have the 18x14 prop though. 

The LT4 would probably allow you to have a more aggressive prop and reduce RPMs like others have said. Probably also add to top end. but, I ride behind my house after 300yards of no wake so top end is not really a thing I care about. 

16 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

What's the LT4 upgrade cost (MSRP)?  At elevation I would do it in a M220.

I’m probably close but not exactly apples to apples, on my t250 it was about 12k over the cost of the m6. About 17 over the m5 . Msrp. Round numbers . But I have no idea how they price the 220. 

9 hours ago, geogilbert said:

So while I am at sea level more or less here in Ohio. I think 600ft. I have had no issues with the M6. I mean sure, no one has ever been sad about ordering the bigger motor but, the m6 has plenty of power from my perspective. 

With 12 people, All factory and PnP at 100%. 600lbs of led center of the boat. I had no issues getting up to wakeboard speed. I do have the 18x14 prop though. 

The LT4 would probably allow you to have a more aggressive prop and reduce RPMs like others have said. Probably also add to top end. but, I ride behind my house after 300yards of no wake so top end is not really a thing I care about. 

Really wanted to go with the m6 financially and may be enough.  I have been told it is considerably better than the indmar  450ho.  Ive read 3% power reduction per 1000ft, so 15% here.  Also everyone here running 25lsvs seems to be running the lt4.  The 25 lsv is 25lbs lighter than m220 empty and 5lbs lighter full.  I was all set with the m6, then ended up down a rabbit hole.  Couldnt get behind an m220 with the m6 so just went with the safer albeit more expensive option.  My buddy on same lake ordered m220 with m6, so i will definitely have an answer next summer

3 minutes ago, Wcl said:

Really wanted to go with the m6 financially and may be enough.  I have been told it is considerably better than the indmar  450ho.  Ive read 3% power reduction per 1000ft, so 15% here.  Also everyone here running 25lsvs seems to be running the lt4.  The 25 lsv is 25lbs lighter than m220 empty and 5lbs lighter full.  I was all set with the m6, then ended up down a rabbit hole.  Couldnt get behind an m220 with the m6 so just went with the safer albeit more expensive option.  My buddy on same lake ordered m220 with m6, so i will definitely have an answer next summer

Look forward to hearing what the first hand comparison shows.  Never seen a machine that had too much power unless it is not daily driver material.  But then I had a Supra 20 years ago and ran tires that were so soft that I had to watch the temp in the winter, when it go below 26 I had to take it easy until they warmed up.  So possibly I am not an opinion you should listen to.  :-)

On the practical front we had a 2020 22 LSV with an M5, traded in on a 2021 23 MXZ with a M6.  The M5 worked but it did feel like it struggled.  The M6 fixed that in the new boat and it is more enjoyable to drive.  Don't miss that feeling that the truck is overloaded all the time.

I am under 1k and if we upgrade this year will probably go with the LT4.  Can't hurt, will be quieter by some from what people say, and should last better if it is running at much lighter loading as a % of output.

We just got a 220 with an M6 in stock. Our main lakes are about 5000 and up. I am going to go run it this week and will report back on how the M6 does at altitude in the 220. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 1:23 PM, Tjards said:

We just got a 220 with an M6 in stock. Our main lakes are about 5000 and up. I am going to go run it this week and will report back on how the M6 does at altitude in the 220. 

Any feedback?  Appreciate even a few words, as I'm so close to ordering, but would like to hear how the M6 did first. 

5 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

Any feedback?  Appreciate even a few words, as I'm so close to ordering, but would like to hear how the M6 did first. 

Sorry I didn't make it out before I went out of town. Just got back yesterday so pending weather I should have it on the water tomorrow evening. I will report back with my thoughts.