Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller Change

I have replaced my impeller on my Indmar Monsoon 350 with a Globe run dry. I am using a fake a lake in my driveway and water is not coming out of the exhaust. I had dropped old impeller while pulling it out and was not sure how it was seeded in the housing. Does the new impeller need to be put on a certain way for pump to run correctly? I have checked the fake a lake obsessively and it is working correctly. This is my first attempt at this so I think I was so excited when I finally got the damn thing out my brain went numb.

The impeller just gets shoved back in the pump, it doesn’t have a front or back.  Dish soap helps.  Use a new gasket and you should be ok.   I used a globe one summer and went back the standard impeller after finding them harder to prime and seeing that some had problems with the spline slipping inside the impeller. 

do you have a seacock (valve) on the raw water intake that needs to be open?

43 minutes ago, MaxMT said:

I have replaced my impeller on my Indmar Monsoon 350 with a Globe run dry. I am using a fake a lake in my driveway and water is not coming out of the exhaust. I had dropped old impeller while pulling it out and was not sure how it was seeded in the housing. Does the new impeller need to be put on a certain way for pump to run correctly? I have checked the fake a lake obsessively and it is working correctly. This is my first attempt at this so I think I was so excited when I finally got the damn thing out my brain went numb.

Is your boat setting on a slope? If it's nose down, it will take a while for the water to come out. Assuming your fake lake is working. Before the boat is started, with the fake lake positioned on the inlet, turn the water on. It should be spraying out of the fake lake between the plunger and the hull. Once you start the boat the water should no longer be spraying from the fake lake. That confirms it is working as it should.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Check you raw water intake hose and make sure water is getting sucked up through it. When in doubt disconnect the hose and stick the garden hose down it. 

It will take a few minutes for water to come out, just keep an eye on your temp guage

Seacock is open. I had the boat running on fake a lake minutes before the swap and the fake a lake was working just fine. The only thing that changed was new impeller. 

1 minute ago, MaxMT said:

It is a little nose down...how long is awhile?

~20 seconds? You should be able to visually confirm its primed by the water no longer spraying out underneath the boat. 

Max. 
you could certainly pull the cover from your impeller and check it out.  One thing I like to do rather than the fake a lake is pull the intake hose and put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water.  You then know for sure if the water pump is working when the level in the bucket drops. I am not much a fan of the fake a lake due to the exact problems you are having, not knowing if it is working or not.

I would certainly go back to using the standard impeller as previously mentioned if it were me.

Edited by MTBoy

So I pulled the cover and everything looks fine. There was a little trickle of water out of the housing when I loosened it and a little coming out of exhaust but not enough(more than before though). The boat started to heat up so I shut it down. The intake hose was the only hose that was cold and impeller cover was not very cold. Are you in Montana MTBoy?

The hose before the pump.

I don't understand why your pump won't prime with forced water in.  That doesn't make sense.  I have a transom flush inlet, so the hose doesn't leak, and it would cause the impeller vanes to bypass when I had a globe impeller.  Water would come out the exhaust without the engine running.

Remove your impeller and shove the hose in the pump body to make sure water will come out.  No need to run the engine for that test.

1 hour ago, MaxMT said:

D3705C46-51B5-442D-A363-4C00523FBDEE.jpeg

8D00C580-ACA1-4865-8572-FB7A5143199E.jpeg

This hose is not on the tranny cooler properly. in my experience the hose needs to be up almost to the thicker part of the tranny cooler and clamped down very tightly. It is very easy for air to get in this part of the system and cause poor flow issues. The other possibility that could cause poor enough flow that you wouldn't see it coming out the exhaust is did you replace the white gasket that goes between the impeller cover and the impeller housing? If that gasket isn't in there properly it won't be able to draw water through the system properly. Check all the hose connections from the lake water intake through the vdrive pass through to the impeller housing to the tranny cooler to the j hose to the hose that connects the exhaust manifold to one another.

Ha ha I saw you were in LoLo.  I will talk….

As mentioned above that hose doesn’t look right on the tranny cooler.  Could be part of the problem.  I think the tranny cooler is after the pump.  Intake hose should be, going backwards from the pump, to the intake through your hull floor.  There might be a sea strainer in between that is an easier place to disconnect than getting the hose unhooked from the floor “through-hull” fitting 

Edited by MTBoy

So went back to the OE Johnson impeller(new) started engine an after about a minute just a trickle out of exhaust. Let it run to 150 temp and shut it down. It took quite awhile to heat to 150. Again the impeller is all I have worked on after last use so nothing else has changed.