Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle issues

Hey everyone, I hope you all are enjoying the summer and haven’t had to deal with too many problems this far, such is boating life. I have a 96 Response that runs well at slower speeds less than 20mph and once I give it throttle to get it up to speed it starts to cut out. The revs will go up and down and if I back off the throttle it settles out fine and runs smooth. I’m thinking it’s the throttle cable but any input is appreciated. 

if it were mine i'd remove the doghouse (or find a method to safely hold it open while at speed) then have an observer CAUTIOUSLY watch the linkage at the carb/throttle body while the engine is cutting out.  if you don't see movement while the engine is misbehaving then it's not likely a cable issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I should have specified. Its a standard small block chevy 350 w/carb. That's what I will be trying, going to see if I can notice anything going on at the linkage to the carb. It runs fine at lower rpms ( cruising speeds 10-15mph ) and then as it gets up to speed it will drop rpms and feel like its bogging out. then if I bring it back down it runs fine. Any help is much appreciated, thanks. This is also my first boat so please take it easy on me as I am trying to learn.:salute: