Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I have room to negotiate?

SmoothbrainA22

8 hours ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

By the way how is it? Which model did you install?

I like having the thruster as it helps with a few situations.   Putting my boat in the slip is the big one.  It is a tight area and the predominant wind makes it hard to line up.  With the thruster I can go in at an angle and then give the thruster a little juice and it straightens me right up.  The T250 has a lot of surface area for the wind to push you around.  I have been able to dock it almost perfectly each time with the thruster, no aborted attempts, etc.   Pulling into the dock at the marina to get gas, or drop off riders is really easy too.    I have used it a few times for more beginner surfers to get them in a perfect spot before taking off.    

If it wasn't for my slip situation I would probably say it wasn't necessary, especially considering it isn't a cheap option but if you have a tough slip or need help getting the boat on the trailer it is probably worth it to save damage to your boat and others.  

Re warranty:

I guess I hope that I don't have any electrical issues...  would seem to reason this issue would also apply to aftermarket stereo equipment then as there is an electrical side to those installs as well.  

This is from the invoice:

ezDrive Stand-Off Thruster Kit Includes Power Flow Std And Pf15 Combo (Black Powder Coated Aluminum) - Malibu, Axis Equipped With Single Exhaust

I used the ez drive throttle which is a Malibu part as well.  

1 hour ago, gtfish said:

I like having the thruster as it helps with a few situations.   Putting my boat in the slip is the big one.  It is a tight area and the predominant wind makes it hard to line up.  With the thruster I can go in at an angle and then give the thruster a little juice and it straightens me right up.  The T250 has a lot of surface area for the wind to push you around.  I have been able to dock it almost perfectly each time with the thruster, no aborted attempts, etc.   Pulling into the dock at the marina to get gas, or drop off riders is really easy too.    I have used it a few times for more beginner surfers to get them in a perfect spot before taking off.    

If it wasn't for my slip situation I would probably say it wasn't necessary, especially considering it isn't a cheap option but if you have a tough slip or need help getting the boat on the trailer it is probably worth it to save damage to your boat and others.  

Re warranty:

I guess I hope that I don't have any electrical issues...  would seem to reason this issue would also apply to aftermarket stereo equipment then as there is an electrical side to those installs as well.  

This is from the invoice:

ezDrive Stand-Off Thruster Kit Includes Power Flow Std And Pf15 Combo (Black Powder Coated Aluminum) - Malibu, Axis Equipped With Single Exhaust

I used the ez drive throttle which is a Malibu part as well.  

Yeah it's not cheap, was hoping to have the $$$ saved up by the time I hit my 50 hour service and just having them install it. I noticed that it comes with a throttle, is that different than the throttle I would get through Malibu? I'm a stickler to making everything seem as OEM as possible.

I've only taken her out twice now in the bay (closest body of water to me), and the second time the current almost messed me up bad pulling into the dock to get her out. I only have so much room to maneuver and was nearly perpendicular - luckily I caught it and was able to get the stern line on and whip her around manually.

That immediately got me thinking of the stern thruster and how valuable that may be. I'm the son of an electrical engineer, so help isn't too far away if I needed it so I'm trying to weigh that into my decision making process.

3 hours ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

Yeah it's not cheap, was hoping to have the $$$ saved up by the time I hit my 50 hour service and just having them install it. I noticed that it comes with a throttle, is that different than the throttle I would get through Malibu? I'm a stickler to making everything seem as OEM as possible.

I've only taken her out twice now in the bay (closest body of water to me), and the second time the current almost messed me up bad pulling into the dock to get her out. I only have so much room to maneuver and was nearly perpendicular - luckily I caught it and was able to get the stern line on and whip her around manually.

That immediately got me thinking of the stern thruster and how valuable that may be. I'm the son of an electrical engineer, so help isn't too far away if I needed it so I'm trying to weigh that into my decision making process.

Here is a stock picture of the throttle.  The told me it was a Malibu throttle but I did't verify that.  You could also use some of the other controls.  https://www.ezdrivethruster.com/products/#thruster-controls

Image.png

• Like 1

Thanks man. I'll likely get this upgraded eventually, depends on how often I plan on taking her out in the bay and what the current is like at my parents place on the Elizabeth River. Might not be necessary but still cool as hell!