Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I have room to negotiate?

SmoothbrainA22

Hey crew - new user and looking to buy my first boat. [disclaimer: still have lots of convincing to do with the wife]. I was originally looking used and had a budget of around $60K+ when I started this journey a few years ago. However realizing what I really wanted and understanding the changes in the market as it stands today, now looking $90K-$110K. 

I ran through a 2022 A22 build today and am considering dropping the downpayment for a spring 2022 delivery. Here’s my question: if I am “mathing” right, I’m looking at 7% off MSRP with me using the dealers in house financing. I know the market is crazy right now but this still seemed low to me. 

looking for thoughts on this. Thanks!

Yeah that definitely all makes sense. appreciate the feedback and the alternate view. 

I’ll work with my guy as much as I can but ultimately want to kick this relationship off on the right foot. 

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

Yeah that definitely all makes sense. appreciate the feedback and the alternate view. 

I’ll work with my guy as much as I can but ultimately want to kick this relationship off on the right foot. 

And that’s the most important part. 1-2% is not worth souring the relationship with the dealer.

I got a quote on 2022 A22 from local dealer here in Canada. Optioned out at 145k MSRP CAD and they have put 13.7k in discounts on table so about 9.2% off MSRP on the initial quote.  I figure a few tweaks and we'll end up at 10-11%.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TommyTuna said:

I got a quote on 2022 A22 from local dealer here in Canada. Optioned out at 145k MSRP CAD and they have put 13.7k in discounts on table so about 9.2% off MSRP on the initial quote.  I figure a few tweaks and we'll end up at 10-11%.

Thanks @TommyTuna. It's good to know I'm in the right ballpark. Now, a question of whether I really need all the options I chose. Maybe you guys can help there as well. 

I'm located in SE Virginia a few miles from the oceanfront. I would be taking my boat out in the Intracoastal, along with the elizabeth river - both are brackish. I of course plan on being very particular about cleaning/flushing/etc. after every use, but I also want the ability to use this for pleasure cruises in the bay near my house to take family/friends to dinner. I included the saltwater package in my build as a precautionary measure, but I'm wondering if I really need that. I'm not storing it in/on saltwater (will be stored in my driveway miles away from the ocean) and won't be using it consistently in saltwater itself. I'm trying to get my out the door as close to my max budget as possible but I don't want to give up too many features.

Appreciate the feedback.

23 minutes ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

I included the saltwater package in my build as a precautionary measure, but I'm wondering if I really need that. 

What comes in the package these days? It already should have closed cooling to keep it out of the block. That was the main reason people were getting it in the past, I believe. 

Edited by BlindSquirrel
12 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

What comes in the package these days? It already should have closed cooling to keep it out of the block. That was the main reason people were getting it in the past, I believe. 

That's a great question, and I'm waiting on feedback from my guy on that. When we walked through the build it really just seemed like sacrificial anodes and stainless steel cupholders. I think it would benefit me to stick with the trailer upgrade(s), galvanized axels, etc.

But, if I'm not doing saltwater package than I could technically just buy used and save a few $$$. I'm working through pros and cons in my head as I prepare to take this to the CFO for approval. HAHAHA.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:52 AM, SmoothbrainA22 said:

I think it would benefit me to stick with the trailer upgrade(s), galvanized axels, etc.

Either a galvanized or aluminum trailer frame is a requirement.  It should also feature all stainless hardware.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:21 PM, SmoothbrainA22 said:

Hey crew - new user and looking to buy my first boat. [disclaimer: still have lots of convincing to do with the wife]. I was originally looking used and had a budget of around $60K+ when I started this journey a few years ago. However realizing what I really wanted and understanding the changes in the market as it stands today, now looking $90K-$110K. 

I ran through a 2022 A22 build today and am considering dropping the downpayment for a spring 2022 delivery. Here’s my question: if I am “mathing” right, I’m looking at 7% off MSRP with me using the dealers in house financing. I know the market is crazy right now but this still seemed low to me. 

looking for thoughts on this. Thanks!

Ordered our A24 3 weeks ago and are expecting a October/November timeframe for delivery to the dealership. We got 12% off msrp but to my understanding it was due to winter delivery date. We first sat down and built a boat back in the spring and it was going to be 8% off msrp for a summer delivery. I guess keep in mind dealers will always do different things. 

On 8/4/2021 at 11:00 AM, jjackkrash said:

If you are taking it anywhere near salt get the salt package.  

Thanks. This is where I landed, especially thinking about how long I plan to keep this boat. Salt package isn't going anywhere :)

On 8/4/2021 at 9:41 PM, Nemesis said:

Ordered our A24 3 weeks ago and are expecting a October/November timeframe for delivery to the dealership. We got 12% off msrp but to my understanding it was due to winter delivery date. We first sat down and built a boat back in the spring and it was going to be 8% off msrp for a summer delivery. I guess keep in mind dealers will always do different things. 

Hilariously enough, working back and forth with my dealer I'm slowly increasing my MSRP. Decided I wanted to roll with the M6 over the M5. I'll keep you guys posted, should be ordering here in the next 4-6 weeks for a spring build.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:35 AM, BlindSquirrel said:

before malibu trailers in ‘14 it came with the tricked out trailer options like big rims and colored trim pieces yo match boat and it was painted galvanized, really regret not getting the package because of the inc trailer, i optioned a black painted galvanized tandem from boatmate and dealer charged me $5000 just for that trailer

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 6 months later...
On 7/30/2021 at 11:35 AM, BlindSquirrel said:

The salt water package includes all sorts of extra stainless steel bits and pieces as well as a kick a** galvanized trailer that is dipped in a sort of rhino liner coating. I get all kinds of compliments on my trailer. It is a textured black rhino liner looking finish. It also includes hydraulic steering. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2022 at 1:04 PM, shawndoggy said:

I'm pretty sure you get hydraulic steering with the salt package too.

And a shorter warranty.

Randomly coming back to this after cruising through the forum and seeing it :). Warranty is the same (5 year), and all the options you guys listed are what came in the package. I picked her up 4/29 and have had her out a few times now. I've been a bit more active so you may have seen the pics, but here is one anyways. 

A22 2.jpg

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

Randomly coming back to this after cruising through the forum and seeing it :). Warranty is the same (5 year), and all the options you guys listed are what came in the package. I picked her up 4/29 and have had her out a few times now. I've been a bit more active so you may have seen the pics, but here is one anyways. 

A22 2.jpg

Sweet boat!

Take a look at the owner's manual under the warranty section.  I haven't seen a 2022 manual, but here's what the 2021 says:

Limited Warranty Summary: Coverage Type Coverage Period (from date of original retail purchase or initial use of the Axis Boat, whichever first occurs)

Structural Limited Warranty Lifetime

Drive Train Limited Warranty Earlier of Sixty (60) Months or 500 hours

Trailer Limited Warranty Sixty (60) Months Base Limited Warranty–

Fresh Water Boats Sixty (60) Months Base Limited Warranty–

Salt Water Boats Thirty-six (36) Months

Gel Coat, & Powder Coat and Trailer Paint Limited Warranty Twelve (12) Months

2 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Sweet boat!

Take a look at the owner's manual under the warranty section.  I haven't seen a 2022 manual, but here's what the 2021 says:

Limited Warranty Summary: Coverage Type Coverage Period (from date of original retail purchase or initial use of the Axis Boat, whichever first occurs)

Structural Limited Warranty Lifetime

Drive Train Limited Warranty Earlier of Sixty (60) Months or 500 hours

Trailer Limited Warranty Sixty (60) Months Base Limited Warranty–

Fresh Water Boats Sixty (60) Months Base Limited Warranty–

Salt Water Boats Thirty-six (36) Months

Gel Coat, & Powder Coat and Trailer Paint Limited Warranty Twelve (12) Months

Just ran through it, says the same for 2022 model year. The 36 month base limited warranty section states this:

For a period of sixty (60) months or 500 hours, whichever is earlier, for freshwater boats and thirty-six (36) months for saltwater boats, beginning on the date of the original retail purchase or the initial use of the Axis Boat, whichever occurs first, Malibu Boats will repair or replace materials or workmanship supplied by it during construction of the Axis Boat, including parts and labor, which are determined by Malibu Boats to contain substantial manufacturing defects.

I'm good with that seeing as that is the only part of the warranty that is les than the rest - and it makes sense. After 36 months I'll have to pay for my own faulty cupholder :)

Structural, Drive Train, Trailer, those are the important ones to me.

Still a damn good warranty. And my dealership is great, super easy to work with and aim to please. 

1 minute ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

I'm good with that seeing as that is the only part of the warranty that is les than the rest - and it makes sense. After 36 months I'll have to pay for my own faulty cupholder :)

And stereo, wedge actuator, surfgate actuator, screens, guages, throttle, relay packs, ballast pumps, tower, bimini, upholstery...

• Like 1
Just now, shawndoggy said:

And stereo, wedge actuator, surfgate actuator, screens, guages, throttle, relay packs, ballast pumps, tower, bimini, upholstery...

Yup. That was my way of convincing myself everything was ok. Ruined that one for me. Hahaha.

• Haha 2

In other news, queried the dealer regarding stern thruster systems and install (aftermarket) on my A22. Response I got back was rough. Voids part of warranty, even if they install it. :( 

Was really looking forward to putting a stern thruster on this lady to help with the currents I deal with out in the bay.

1 hour ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

In other news, queried the dealer regarding stern thruster systems and install (aftermarket) on my A22. Response I got back was rough. Voids part of warranty, even if they install it. :( 

Was really looking forward to putting a stern thruster on this lady to help with the currents I deal with out in the bay.

What part of the warranty would it void and what could the thruster affect?   I just had one installed on my T250 by a third party my dealer referred me to. 

10 hours ago, gtfish said:

What part of the warranty would it void and what could the thruster affect?   I just had one installed on my T250 by a third party my dealer referred me to. 

Exact words from dealer who contacted Malibu directly:

"Malibu has confirmed that installing a stern thruster aftermarket will void the electrical side of the warranty on your boat."

No details as to what the "electrical side" of the warranty is, but assuming everything with wires. So, we can't get it installed as an option but if we get it installed it voids part of the warranty even if done by a certified dealer. They even confirmed that the EZ Thruster is what Bu installs direct from factory when the stern turn option is selected, but if we get the same product installed aftermarket it messes with warranty.

So, I've got some thinking to do. Not like I have $5K + labor sitting around after picking the boat up 3 weeks ago anyways. Hahaha.

11 hours ago, gtfish said:

By the way how is it? Which model did you install?