Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I have room to negotiate?

SmoothbrainA22

SmoothbrainA22

Hey crew - new user and looking to buy my first boat. [disclaimer: still have lots of convincing to do with the wife]. I was originally looking used and had a budget of around $60K+ when I started this journey a few years ago. However realizing what I really wanted and understanding the changes in the market as it stands today, now looking $90K-$110K. 

I ran through a 2022 A22 build today and am considering dropping the downpayment for a spring 2022 delivery. Here’s my question: if I am “mathing” right, I’m looking at 7% off MSRP with me using the dealers in house financing. I know the market is crazy right now but this still seemed low to me. 

looking for thoughts on this. Thanks!

SmoothbrainA22

Yeah that definitely all makes sense. appreciate the feedback and the alternate view. 

I’ll work with my guy as much as I can but ultimately want to kick this relationship off on the right foot. 

1 hour ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

Yeah that definitely all makes sense. appreciate the feedback and the alternate view. 

I’ll work with my guy as much as I can but ultimately want to kick this relationship off on the right foot. 

And that’s the most important part. 1-2% is not worth souring the relationship with the dealer.

I got a quote on 2022 A22 from local dealer here in Canada. Optioned out at 145k MSRP CAD and they have put 13.7k in discounts on table so about 9.2% off MSRP on the initial quote.  I figure a few tweaks and we'll end up at 10-11%.

• Thanks 1
SmoothbrainA22
1 hour ago, TommyTuna said:

I got a quote on 2022 A22 from local dealer here in Canada. Optioned out at 145k MSRP CAD and they have put 13.7k in discounts on table so about 9.2% off MSRP on the initial quote.  I figure a few tweaks and we'll end up at 10-11%.

Thanks @TommyTuna. It's good to know I'm in the right ballpark. Now, a question of whether I really need all the options I chose. Maybe you guys can help there as well. 

I'm located in SE Virginia a few miles from the oceanfront. I would be taking my boat out in the Intracoastal, along with the elizabeth river - both are brackish. I of course plan on being very particular about cleaning/flushing/etc. after every use, but I also want the ability to use this for pleasure cruises in the bay near my house to take family/friends to dinner. I included the saltwater package in my build as a precautionary measure, but I'm wondering if I really need that. I'm not storing it in/on saltwater (will be stored in my driveway miles away from the ocean) and won't be using it consistently in saltwater itself. I'm trying to get my out the door as close to my max budget as possible but I don't want to give up too many features.

Appreciate the feedback.

BlindSquirrel
23 minutes ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

I included the saltwater package in my build as a precautionary measure, but I'm wondering if I really need that. 

What comes in the package these days? It already should have closed cooling to keep it out of the block. That was the main reason people were getting it in the past, I believe. 

Edited by BlindSquirrel
SmoothbrainA22
12 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

What comes in the package these days? It already should have closed cooling to keep it out of the block. That was the main reason people were getting it in the past, I believe. 

That's a great question, and I'm waiting on feedback from my guy on that. When we walked through the build it really just seemed like sacrificial anodes and stainless steel cupholders. I think it would benefit me to stick with the trailer upgrade(s), galvanized axels, etc.

But, if I'm not doing saltwater package than I could technically just buy used and save a few $$$. I'm working through pros and cons in my head as I prepare to take this to the CFO for approval. HAHAHA.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:52 AM, SmoothbrainA22 said:

I think it would benefit me to stick with the trailer upgrade(s), galvanized axels, etc.

Either a galvanized or aluminum trailer frame is a requirement.  It should also feature all stainless hardware.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:21 PM, SmoothbrainA22 said:

Hey crew - new user and looking to buy my first boat. [disclaimer: still have lots of convincing to do with the wife]. I was originally looking used and had a budget of around $60K+ when I started this journey a few years ago. However realizing what I really wanted and understanding the changes in the market as it stands today, now looking $90K-$110K. 

I ran through a 2022 A22 build today and am considering dropping the downpayment for a spring 2022 delivery. Here’s my question: if I am “mathing” right, I’m looking at 7% off MSRP with me using the dealers in house financing. I know the market is crazy right now but this still seemed low to me. 

looking for thoughts on this. Thanks!

Ordered our A24 3 weeks ago and are expecting a October/November timeframe for delivery to the dealership. We got 12% off msrp but to my understanding it was due to winter delivery date. We first sat down and built a boat back in the spring and it was going to be 8% off msrp for a summer delivery. I guess keep in mind dealers will always do different things. 

SmoothbrainA22
On 8/4/2021 at 11:00 AM, jjackkrash said:

If you are taking it anywhere near salt get the salt package.  

Thanks. This is where I landed, especially thinking about how long I plan to keep this boat. Salt package isn't going anywhere :)

On 8/4/2021 at 9:41 PM, Nemesis said:

Ordered our A24 3 weeks ago and are expecting a October/November timeframe for delivery to the dealership. We got 12% off msrp but to my understanding it was due to winter delivery date. We first sat down and built a boat back in the spring and it was going to be 8% off msrp for a summer delivery. I guess keep in mind dealers will always do different things. 

Hilariously enough, working back and forth with my dealer I'm slowly increasing my MSRP. Decided I wanted to roll with the M6 over the M5. I'll keep you guys posted, should be ordering here in the next 4-6 weeks for a spring build.

theloungelife
1 hour ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

Decided I wanted to roll with the M6 over the M5. 

Good choice!  I did the same.

granddaddy55
On 7/30/2021 at 10:35 AM, BlindSquirrel said:

before malibu trailers in ‘14 it came with the tricked out trailer options like big rims and colored trim pieces yo match boat and it was painted galvanized, really regret not getting the package because of the inc trailer, i optioned a black painted galvanized tandem from boatmate and dealer charged me $5000 just for that trailer

Edited by granddaddy55