Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for helmet recommendations for a 3 year old to tubing

Smokedvw

Hi,

I am looking for a helmet for our son.  He has been going out tubing behind the boat and I really think it would be better if he has a helmet.  The only ones I can seem to find in that size are all BMX style helmets and not water helmets.

Just curious if anyone has recommendations, we are up in Canada if that makes a difference.  His head circumference is around 19-19.5"

All I can really find is BMX ones that are rated CPSC which is for bicycle and skateboards etc.  I see protec makes some but not in that size for water sports.

Thanks

Edited by Smokedvw
  • 2 weeks later...

How about Pro-Tec Kayak/watersport helmet? ...   They works very well for our kids..

spacer.png

Edited by Flyingsushi

How fast and sharp if turns are you doing to think he needs a helmet?  I can’t imagine pulling him in any way that would require that type of protective gear. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I suppose I could see heads knocking together if riding a rough ride with someone else on the same tube but I have the same thought. Helmet for tubing? 

You guys clearly have not done tubing correctly.  Some of the worst watersports injuries* I have seen came from tubing.  Besides, if the kids think they are living life on the edge because they have to wear a helmet, they have even more fun.

* Worst I have seen:  A friend used a metal hook to secure the tube to the rope.  In a freak accident, he and the tube were in the air and he was clawing his way back onto the tube.  When they landed, the hook caught his cheek just above the jaw bone and tore his cheek open from the lower jaw to the eyeball.  He got lucky when they had a plastic surgeon on duty at the hospital.  A gillion stitches and a few loose teeth later, he was good to go again.  Lesson:  Never use a hook to attach your tube to the rope.  A carabiner is probably OK, but you never know.

If you need a helmet for a tube I'm in the "you're doing it wrong" camp.  My tube rides put the kids close to falling, but I rarely ever lose one.  Because then I have to stop the ride, pick them up, blah blah blah.  The best rides don't stop, they cause some excitement but you are better off keeping them on the tube, especially when multiple riders are on one tube.  It also prevents slack in the rope which is a way bigger risk to me than a head injury.

FWIW, I've raised 3 kids and totally get the safety aspect and why you would ask the question, it's a respectable question.  Again, as the driver I think it's my job not to give the "Dad's gonna kill us!" tube rides from the old days.

Once my kids got to be teens who wanted to get tossed, I went to the "lay down" style flat tubes.  the "sit up" floating couch style tubes are much more stable and result in the kids all banging into each other during a hard whip.  Knocked heads were not uncommon.  Eventually I ended up towing two flat tubes at the same time, which the kids would jump between in order to toss one another off.  Which I hated because of the stop to turn around all the time issue that @Michigan boarder notes.  So then I got really good at keeping the tubes apart, one on either side of the wake.  

That said, I am also in the "this can't possibly be a concern for a 3 year old" camp.  I can't imagine towing a kid that small at much over idle speed, and in the company of an adult or trusted teen on the tube (to prevent inadvertent submarining of the tube).  Unless there's some kind of other special concern where the kid otherwise wears a helmet at all times?  Seems like much more likelihood of a head injury walking through the parking lot at the boat ramp than falling off a tube at "little kid speed."

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 3

The reason I recommend to use helmet for tubing is the based on minor issue happened when my son was 4 years old (yes, he was not 3 years old at the time)...  We were pulling 2 people tube casually and not swinging hard sider to side as we do for older kids.   Went thru a few wakes created by other boat was enough to two kids to bunk their head each other and my son got a black eyes...  I do not think helmet is necessary for single person tubing but for multi people tubing helmet would be a good security for any age riders.

Edited by Flyingsushi